Peanut Butter Cookies

So after reading Dear John for the umpteenth time today, I decided to get the idea of writing a oneshot of little John and his mother baking peanut butter cookies together. I hope you all enjoy this chapter!

Yawning, John slowly opened his eyes to see the alarm clock ringing loudly on his sidetable. "Ugh, morning already? Why can't the day start later?" He grumbled as he threw the clock on the floor. "Oh! I almost forgot! Today's Mother's Day!" He realized, then in a split second he rushed to the bathroom to clean up, got changed and rushed downstairs before his mother woke up.

"I need to think of something I can do for her. But what should I do?.. Get her a necklace? I already used up my allowance. Besides, I got her one last year.. How about a card? Nah I want to do something really special for her!.. I know! I can bake her something!"

Heading to the bookshelf, John pulled out a cookbook that had all sorts of dessert recipes. "Let's see now, what can be quick to make? Oh! I can make her peanut butter cookies! She'll love them and it only needs eggs, peanut butter and sugar. We have all three so I can make it!"

Heading towards the kitchen counter, John grabbed the three ingredients he needed and placed them in front of him. "Two eggs in the bowl!" John exclaimed, placing two leftover boiled eggs into a mixing bowl, shell and all. "Now how much is half a cup of sugar? Probably means how much you can fit in a mug, I'll use that."

Getting his little mug, John filled it with sugar and poured it all into the bowl. "Now for the peanut butter! One cupful? But isn't the jar like a cup? I'll put the whole thing in!"

Then it was time to mix, John was having a hard time doing so with a tiny spoon. "I'll need a bigger spoon to mix all this." Reaching into the cupboard, John pulled out a soup ladle. "This should be big enough! Man cooking is hard."

Eventually all the cluttering of pots and pans woke up Julia and she went downstairs to see who was making such a racket. "John? Is that you?" She asked.

"Eep! Oh hi Mummy!" John exclaimed. "I wanted to make surprise cookies for you."

Chuckling, Julia picked up her son and gave him a big kiss on his messy forehead. "That's very kind of you. But you know you're not old enough to use the stove yet."

"Oh.."

"That's alright. We can bake cookies together, but first we need to clean up this big mess here."

Once the kitchen was all clean the two set to work. "We need raw eggs in order to bake Johnny dear." Julia told him.

"But I thought you said raw eggs have salmo.. Samo.. Something with salmon."

"Salmonella. But the eggs will be cooked while the cookies bake so don't worry. And I'll show you our measuring cups as well."

Eventually the cookies were finally baked and it was time to eat. "Yummy! These cookies taste so good knowing that I baked them with my Mummy." John exclaimed, dipping his cookie into a cup of milk.

"Aww, you're so sweet." Julia awed, kissing his forehead. "My son is a little baker. How about you help me make lunch later today?"

"I'd love to! I want to spend all of Mother's Day with you Mummy!"

Smiling, Julia pulled John into a hug and kissed his forehead. "Happy Mother's Day. I love you Mummy."

"Aww, I love you too sweetie."

AND HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY EVERYONE IN THE U.K.!!!