Insane Asylums, Funerals and Names

FLEUR-DE-LIS SANITARIUM

Rebekah is laying on an old mattress in a run-down, abandoned hospital, looking pale and sickly as she continues to suffer from the werewolf bites she received in the previous episode. There is a dripping sound by her bedside as she slowly returns to consciousness. When she remembers what happened, she shoots up in bed, only to look around and start hallucinating that the hospital is clean and bustling with nurses caring for the sick. Patients are all groaning and crying in agony while the nurses and doctors tend to them at their bedside; all of the sick are suffering from the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1919.

In reality, the hospital is derelict inside, full of antique beds, wheelchairs, and medical equipment that has been left to rust. Rebekah becomes overwhelmed and starts hyperventilating as she looks around in her hallucination. Blood drips onto the floor; a man drops a bloody rag; another man sits up in bed and coughs up blood into a handkerchief. She gasps as two doctors drop another patient onto a cot and wheel him toward the morgue. She slowly rolls out of the bed, weakened by the werewolf venom in her system. A woman's laughter is heard echoing through the corridors. "Who's there?" Rebekah asks terrified.

There's no answer. She struggles to get out of that room as quickly as possible and escape. As she reaches the doorway, she plunges through it and escapes outside. She looks around. "How the hell did I get here?" She mutters to herself. She stumbles toward the steps, but before she can go any farther, she is stabbed in the heart with a wooden stake. She gasps and falls to the ground, only to look up to realize the person who stabbed her looks familiar. "Genevieve?" She asks semi conscious. "Rebekah, tell me you're not leaving already. I thought we might reminisce." Genevieve says and pretends to pout. She casts a spell on Rebekah, and she falls unconscious.

Meanwhile inside, Celeste looks over the body of Klaus, who is shirtless and lying on a bed, his wrists tied down by restraints. He too is weakened by Papa Tunde's blade, which has disappeared inside of his chest. He groans and starts to stir.

LAFAYETTE CEMETERY

The witches have gathered to say goodbye to Sophie, who, unbeknownst to most, was killed by her niece Monique. Monique stands emotionless outside the Deveraux tomb with a candle as a man lays bricks over Sophie's grave. Nicole and Elijah appear; he quickly takes out three people at vampire speed and Nicole fires a shot in the air. Monique is not phased, but other witches gasp. "My siblings have been taken. Where are they?" Elijah asks. "You're interrupting my Aunt Sophie's consecration." Monique says emotionless. Nicole glares at her. Monique smirks at her. "How did this happen?" Elijah asks confused. "Ask Monique. She's the one who killed her." Nicole says keeping her eyes on Monique. Monique smiles. "Aunt Sophie was a casualty of war." Nicole moves toward her but Elijah puts his arm out to stop her. "Monique, I recommend you give me what I want. Unless, of course, you'd like me to level this place and everything in it." Elijah threatened her. "That won't be necessary. I have a message for you from Celeste." She raises her hand toward Elijah and starts casting a spell on him.

Elijah, suddenly uncomfortable, pulls at the collar of his shirt. "Uncle Elijah what's wrong?" Nicole asks. When he rips open the top button of his shirt, he sees the name Theresa tattooed on his chest. Nicole looks from his chest to Monique as she continues the spell, many more names appear on his body, including the familiar name Sabine. "To find what you're looking for, follow the path she left behind." Monique says and leaves. Nicole turns back to Elijah. "Are you okay? What the hell is this?" She asks worried. "We need to get back home now." He says looking at the name on his wrist.