Bagels

You were deep in though as you waked into a coffee shop, you walked into the line and didn't notice the person in front and accidentally walked into him.

He turned around.

"Hi." He said, with a goofy, dorky, beautiful smile on his face.

"Hey." You replied, your heart beating a mile a minute. You'd never seen anyone so angelic and beautiful.

"I'm Justin." He said.

"(y/n)."

From that moment, you knew there was just something about him.

"Would you like to share a bagel?"

You tried not to laugh. You failed. A small giggle escaped your lips, and he chuckled.

"I'm sorry," you laughed. "I don't even know why I'm laughing."

In reality, you knew exactly why you were laughing. The idea of eating a bagel with this man you just met was ridiculous. A bagel. Not a muffin or a doughnut—a bagel. And you were going to share it, nonetheless. That was something you do on a third date, not a-whatever-this-was.

"Is a bagel okay?"

"A bagel would be great." You replied, smiling a bit. "I'd love to share one with you."

So you did.

A month later, he asked you to become his girlfriend. You said yes.

It became your weekly tradition to share a bagel. Always blueberry, his favourite. You came to associate the flavour with him, and you loved it.

One morning, you woke up and couldn't find him beside you.

"Justin?" You called out sleepily. You lifted your head and looked around the room. He wasn't there. You pulled yourself out of bed and took the glass of water by your bedside table. You drank, putting the glass down before leaving the room. You walked downstairs, Justin was in the kitchen baking something.

"Morning." You said, he smiled when he met your eyes.

"You know what today is?" He asked, and you looked to the blueberries on the counter.

"Saturday." You responded, making him grin.

"I thought I'd try making some bagels today." He said, and you went over to his side.

"How's it going?" You asked, looking to the mess in the bowl.

"We might have to make an emergency trip to the store." He admitted, making you laugh.

"Let me help you."

The two of you worked together to create something like a blueberry bagel. It didn't look very pretty, but honestly, it was one of the best you'd ever tasted. But maybe that was just because you made it together.

One year later, you were sharing a bagel again. The two of you got a lot better at baking them, you both considered starting a business. Though at the same time, you knew that would make it not as much "your thing", so you decided against it.

"You know what I was planning?" Justin asked, and you shook your head. "I was going to put something inside the bagel, but I realised that that could kill you. I wouldn't want that. I like you very much, and I'd rather have you alive."

"You sound like you're trying to keep me alive in order to eat me or something." You commented, making him laugh.

"Oh shit, my plan has been exposed." He acts.

"Is this why you've been feeding me all these blueberry bagels? So I'd taste like them? I swear I'm becoming one." You said, and he chuckled.

"That too. Anyway, I was going to put something in there, but I thought this would be better." He went to the counter, taking a bagel in hand. He suddenly got down on one knee in front of you, presenting the bagel to you.

Your heart started to beat faster, and you met his brown eyes.

"(y/n). I love you. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and eat bagels with you every week. I want to die from a bagel overdose, but only with you." He said, making you laugh.

"Justin, I would be honoured to die from a bagel overdose with you." You told him, and he slipped the bagel onto your finger.

It was ridiculous. It was a bagel. But at the same time, it was your thing. Blueberry bagels were just your thing, and you couldn't have thought of anything more fitting.

"I do have an actual ring. Don't worry." He added, and you laughed.

"I'm going to take this off for a moment so I can kiss you." You told him before setting the bagel on the table and throwing your arms around him. Your lips met in a sweet kiss. His lips were soft and warm, and his arms wrapped around your waist. Your bodies melted into one another like they belonged together. Probably because they did.

Your wedding cake was a huge blueberry bagel. That was the only time you shared your bagel with anyone aside from each other.

To this day, you still have your weekly blueberry bagels.

Oh look—it's Saturday.