The Only Exception. (Andy Hurley x Reader)

Listen to the above song while reading.

When I was younger I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart and I watched
As he tried to reassemble it

And my momma swore
That she would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love if it does not exist

"You're kidding."

You swallowed the gulp of Cosmopolitan you had in your mouth before arching your brows and shaking your head no. "I'm really not."

"You really haven't been on a single date in over half a decade?" Joe gaped, so shocked by the revelation that he almost knocked his drink over.

"Well when you put it like that..." you grumbled, frowning infinitesimally as you took another sip from your cocktail.

"But..." Joe sputtered, trying to wrap his head around the fact, "why not? It's not like there's a lack in guys trying to get with you."

"It's a waste of time," you shrugged, leaning back in your seat. "Dating, I mean. It always ends the same way."

"Oh, (Y/N)," he tsked, shaking his head in disapproval, "come on. You can't give up on the journey of finding love just because you met a few jerks along the way."

A hearty laugh escaped your throat, making Joe furrow his brows.

"Love isn't real," you giggled.

Joe nearly choked on his beer.

"Okay, now you're just being ridiculous!"

"Nothing that's happened in my life so far has led me to believe otherwise!" you scoffed, holding out your arms. "All of my experiences with 'love' – even my parents' relationship – have ended in disaster. So why should I continue chasing something that – if it is real – is clearly not meant for me?"

But darling,
You are the only exception

"I... you..." Joe stammered, clearly wanting to express his displeasure, but not quite able to string together the right combination of words to do so.

"Exactly." You cocked an eyebrow and smirked at the guitarist before chugging down the remaining liquid in your glass. "Not worth the effort."

"You have no idea how wrong you are."

~

"I'm telling you, you need to ask her."

"Why should I, when we all know that her answer will be no?"

With a frustrated growl, Joe tossed a throw pillow across the room, striking Andy against the head.

"Ow," Andy emphasized.

"I'm so sick of this bullshit! Dude, if you don't ask her, I'll do it for you," Joe all but yelled, jumping up from the couch and moving to grab his cell and call you.

"NO!" Andy protested, smacking the phone away before sighing dejectedly. "Fine. I'll ask her. Just stay out of it."

With a triumphant smile, Joe turned up his nose and trotted off to the kitchen to grab a celebratory beer.

~

Maybe I know somewhere deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways to make it alone
Or keep a straight face

The sound of someone knocking on your apartment door roused you from the work-filled trance you were in, and you fastened your hair in a pony as you got up and walked over to the door, reaching out to grip the handle.

"Hey, sunshine," Andy's friendly smile greeted you when you opened up, instantly boosting your mood. You loved being around Andy; he always made you feel better.

"Andy," you beamed, pulling him in for a hug, "What's up?"

"I, uh, I came to ask you something," he explained as you shooed him inside and closed the door.

"Shoot," you encouraged, moving to grab some snacks from the kitchen.

"So there's this award show coming up..." he started.

"Uh huh," you acknowledged, decanting some chips into a bowl.

"And all of the guys have dates – obviously – but I'm the only one who doesn't," he explained, making you pout.

"So I was wondering if," he scratched the back of his neck and averted his gaze to the floor, already anticipating your rejection, "maybe you'd like to be my date?"

Andy held his breath as he awaited your response, not even realising that he was doing it until you spoke.

"Andy, you know that I don't go on dates," you sighed, and he swore that his heart had been ripped apart in two. "But," you added, making him perk up, "for you..."

And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable distance
And up until now I have sworn to myself
That I'm content with loneliness
Because none of it was ever worth the risk

Well you are the only exception
You are the only exception

"I'll make an exception."

_______________________________

Thank you for reading x