Charitie

The days dragged on again, and I was getting impatient. I was also extremely paranoid, considering everything that has happened. All I wanted was to just sit down and read a book, or talk to my friends at school or something. As much as I love this, it can get scary and tiring. Also, Alex would get angry if I left her under my couch at home (again), and she'd end up cussing me out.

Oh, Alex, we love you!

We were marching again, getting deeper in the woods each day. Evelyn was blabbing on and on about one of the books she's going to write. It sounded pretty good, and I couldn't wait to get home and read it. I was starting to miss my sisters, and even my parents. Usually I would have laughed and said, "Nope!" if someone asked me if I missed them, but I was honestly getting homesick. The march was long, and tiring all the same. Alex was warm on my wrist, which helped because things were starting to get cold. In fact, frost was gathering on several plants, and puddles were frozen over. Andrew said the frost was due to the darkness in the woods, making it hard for sunlight to even breach through a single leaf. Secretly being kinda sorta scared of the dark, I stuck close to everyone and tried not to go too far.

"So the man in the asylum becomes interested in writing because of that person, and the lady takes his words and uses them for the papers. It goes all over social media, and New Work Times, and just everywhere! Then this man--the antagonist--comes to visit him, and--"

"Evelyn, shush." Amelia growled. "No one cares about Writing Insanity. No one will read it, now shut up so I can hear myself think."

"Hey, you hush up!" Madeline became hostile. "Just because you're always upset doesn't mean you can tear someone down, especially my sister."

Ev was silent, which is slightly unlike her because she was so giddy and talkative. I walked closer to her, taking her hand.

"Don't listen to her; she doesn't know how great your books are."

Evelyn smiled. "Thanks. Honestly, I don't really care. She can be all grumpy if she wants, it doesn't mess with me."

I knew she wasn't telling all of the truth, but I let her be. We kept walking, Amelia moaning and groaning because her legs hurt, and I holding onto Ev's so the monsters in the dark didn't get me. Hey, it's true! They're out there, and they'll eat you! Anyway, as we walked, there was a scream from one of the woman in the front of the march. Andrew shouted for the army to halt, and he raised a fist to stop the one's who couldn't hear him.

"What is it now?" Grumbled the newest Time Watcher.

I mentally rolled my eyes at her. She was going to drive me insane with that attitude. Bitch, please. I didn't care if I was swearing at her in my head, she deserved it. Seeing that we were in the middle of the group for warmth, we had to weasel our way to Andrew. When we got there, he was staring into the dark, the woman who had screamed babbling about something she saw as she paced in front of him.

"And it just... fwoosh! It was gone right before my eyes! And I know--I know--it wasn't a normal creature of the dark. No, it was human! At least, I think it was."

"What's going on, Andrew?" Asked Razz.

"She says she saw something..." He replied, pulling his sword quietly out of its sheath.

We all waited in silence, the eerie darkness creeping me out more. The army shuffled about, metal clanging quietly. I held my breath. For awhile, it seemed like nothing was going to come out, until a dark shadow could be seen between the bushes. Evelyn yanked out her bow and arrows and shot it, making it poof out of existence.