Amelia

"What did it look like?" I asked, trying to sound like I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Well, she had golden scales, and her horns, talons, spikes, and eyes were all orange. She had hhhuuugggeee wings that draped across her back, and her tail could wrap around her whole body at least once. She had these cuts on her neck, but they didn't seem to hurt her. She also had this thing on her right front leg, which looked like a bracelet of some sort." Prince Andrew explained with great enthusiasm. He tried to steal a glance at Lorita, but I thought ahead and had her hidden behind my back.

"How do you know she was female?"

"Because of her voice. It was... actually, it sounded kind of like yours, but more... majestic and powerful."

"Did she hurt you?"

"Surprisingly, no. Far from that! She was just shy, and curious, and... magnificent. I've never seen a dragon up close like that. I don't think I'd ever forget it..." He was looking at the creak as he spoke, almost drawn to it. I was hanging onto every word, and he glanced at me with curiosity. He sighed and shook his head, laughing a bit. "Alas, no one will believe me. Even though you are the only one I told, I can see you think I'm insane and that I better find my top before I become king."

"What? No, I believe you!" I exclaimed. "I don't think you're crazy. Really."

He gave me a critical look, but didn't say anything.

"But," I added slowly, "I don't think it would be very smart if you told anyone else about the dragon. The great people of your village could panic and try to find her. She could get hurt. You don't want that, do you?"

Prince Andrew thought it over, staring at the ground, then looked up at me and smiled. "Of course not. You are very smart for a young maiden like yourself."

Still don't know if that's a complement or not. I thought in my head.

"I swear upon my father's grave that I will never tell another living soul about the dragon." Prince Andrew continued. "And if I may see her again, I will keep her a secret from the village. For her sake."

I smiled and nodded. "Thank you."

Prince Andrew looked up at the sky, then back down at me. "I should be going. That grumpy old sorcerer is probably tearing up the whole village just to find silly little me."

"I should get going, too." I admitted. "My friends are probably searching for me."

"I'll see you at noon." He said, taking my left hand and kissing it.

I looked at him in shock, not sure if it was normal for people to do that around these parts...er, times, I guess... He smiled at me, then turned and left. I stood and watched him leave, feeling my face burn lightly.

"Ooh!" Lorita said after the silence.

"Shut up." I hissed.

"He likes you, Amelia."

"What?! No, just--gah! Shh!" I turned and stormed off, leaving the forest and entering the village.