Friday

"What am I going to do with you, Mr. Friday?" Eric sighed, looking down at my files.

I pulled a little at my handcuffs, looking away from Eric's gaze.

"You have an amazing mind, yes, but you are also somewhat unstable. You do know this, right?" He asked, peering down at me from his elevated chair.

Of course I knew it. I was born knowing it. My parents and two older siblings had always told me I was special right from the moment I was born. When I was diagnosed with autism, they always worked extra hard to keep my autism controlled. Then they realized it. That I was literally a genius. I would always exceed more than any other child... Or collage graduate in my school, and I was taken to a lab when I showed my potential. That's where I was now. A lab.

"Y-yes," I replied, but it was more of a hiss than an answer. "I've been t-told, uh, a lot, Eric." I looked at him and lowered my head, my gaze on him never wavering. Although, I was unable to look him in the eye. If Richweld had a grandson or son, Eric would be him. Untrustworthy, sly, and back stabbing Eric. Always looking pleasant on the outside, but on the inside, he was a monstrous creature. Not literally in this case, seeing the many things in my brief thirty-three years of life. Eric's gaze strengthened, and he glared at me with all the hatred in the world.

"You mustn't take that tone with me, Daniel Friday." Eric scolded me. "You do know I can send you to your room at any time. Correct?"

That room. That cursed room that had no windows, no escape, and most importantly, no hope. The place I was at was like Area 51, but less large and less isolated. It's the place where they first started to clone things (with my stolen journals, by the way!). I stared up at Eric as he leaned in closer, so close that our noses almost touched.

"I am letting you have one chance, Daniel. One! If you screw up again like you did last time, you'll be punished with a straitjacket and a one-way ticket back here. Am I clear?" Eric growled.

I nodded.

Eric leaned back in his chair. "If you mess up, you've been warned."

I jumped up and gasped, sweat beading my face. I was in my room with my pajamas on, laying alone in my bed, as usual nights go. I swallowed hard as the memory faded, even though I could clearly see it still. My horrible memories in the lab had replaced my dreams ever since I left the place, but recently they've been getting worse. I stood up and went downstairs to the kitchen to get a glass of water, still shaken by the past.

I thought about my little Time Watchers as I took a sip of cold water, wondering what they would think about my past. They could visit it any time if they wanted to. Time was now nothing to them because they can go anywhere in time. I was still surprised none of them asked anything yet. I thought back to the newer Time Watcher, Amelia.

Has she told anyone about anything yet? I thought, concerned. I wasn't even allowed to make inventions anymore, thanks to Eric. If they learned I made a Time Watch, I'd definitely never see the light of day again. Ever. As I finished my water, my train of thought kept chugging down the tracks, making me think so hard that I got a headache. I cleaned my glass, then went back upstairs and laid down on my bed. I pulled the blanket closer to me, still thinking back to everything that had happened in my crazy life. I didn't plan to tell the Time Watchers anything. I never would tell the Time Watchers anything... unless it became unavoidable. But that hasn't happened, so I think I'll be fine. I thought I'll be fine, anyway.