Friday

It began to rain lightly as I went down the sidewalk. Being the genius I am, I predicted this, and opened my umbrella. I pulled up the collar of my trench coat, keeping warm as the drizzle began to thunder down. The only reason I was out was for food, which was quite rudely stolen by one of Eric's stupid men. My robots were guarding the house, keeping their lasers out at all times. I shoved my hands in my pockets, feeling my leather wallet my mother gave me. It was slightly comforting; knowing my mom cared was all I kinda needed at the moment. That and my kids... Oh, my little Time Watchers... I hope they're okay...

A bark came from a small alley, which was to my right and smelled a bit like cabbage. Startled, I jumped and jerked my head in the direction.

A scruffy, golden retriever hobbled towards me, tripping and landing on its mussel a few times. It was missing its left leg, but there was no indication that it was ripped off. Must've been born with only three. It stayed in the alley's shadow, but seemed like it wanted to come closer.

I knelt down a bit. "Hi, there." I said soothingly.

It cocked its head, then barked again, tail wagging.

Chuckling, I straightened and continued on my way. Cute dog. I entered the store, picking up the food I could carry on my way back. I tried to hurry, seeing the storm outside get worse and worse by the second. I left when I payed, speed-walking out of the store and into the storm. When I passed the alley, the dog was still there, sitting alone in the rain. It barked at me, making me stop and turn to look at it.

I asked, "What?"

It barked, standing and wagging its tail again. I checked it, then said, "What do you want, boy?"

He got an inch closer, panting as he stuck his tongue out. He gave me puppy eyes, and I inwardly fell to my knees and cuddled him. Hey, I have a soft spot for dogs, okay? I smiled, then looked around.

"Where's your owner?" I looked down at him.

He barked and came closer. There were no tags on him, and he looked a little too beat up to have an owner. And if he did have an owner, that owner would have been very careless. I knelt and searched through a plastic bag, pulling out some beef jerky. "You want some?"

He came closer and sniffed. It was kinda hard doing this, seeing I had to hold an umbrella, but I was able to pull out a piece of jerky and hold it out for him. He got closer cautiously, then snatched the food from me and munched on it.

"Good boy," I patted his head, then stood. He looked up at me, wanting more. He began to whimper, and he jumped up on me. "Down, boy!" I laughed, pushing him gently.

He barked and hobbled around me, tail going everywhere. Chuckling, I knelt again, and we made eye contact. "Well I guess I'll just have to take you home with me, huh?" I let him share my umbrella, and he shook himself out. Standing, I began to walk, my new dog following. "I'm going to call you Benjamin. Benjamin Franklin Friday. You like that?"

Ben barked, panting as he hobbled faster to catch up. I slowed down for him.

"Yeah, you like it. And I'm going to take such good care of you, Ben. You're going to get fed, and we'll watch TV together, and we'll listen to songs from the 50's, and we'll go on adventures through dimensions, and you're going to be friends with the Time Watchers and all my robots. And you won't have to live in an alley ever, ever, EVER again. Would you like that?"

Benjamin barked happily.

"I'll like it, too! But first, you need a bath."

He barked in agreement.

* * *

"Is the license almost done, Reboot?" I asked, finishing up the collar and pulling my lab coat closer to me.

"Almost, Dan." He informed, dodging Benjamin as the dog ran around the downstairs lab.

"Thanks. Almost done with the collar."

"Splendid!" Reboot watched the dog with his eye. "So that bundle of energy was just 'hanging out' in an alley?"

"Mm-hm."

"Do you think he was dumped?"

"Could be it, but he's mine now."

Microchip buzzed as she watched Ben bounce around, jumping off walls in pure glee. I had bathed, groomed, and fed him, and I also made sure he wasn't injured, finding that he was fixed in doing so. When that was done, I decided to start trying to house-train him, but it seemed like he already was. So he definitely belonged to someone before. Who, I dunno. A number of things could have happened, but right now, I was just focusing on my new puppy dog.

I beamed when I was done. "Finished!" I held up the blue collar in admiration. It was like a store bought collar, with the clips and metal rings for leashes and everything. I found the materials in my drawer of random stuff, putting them together to make it.

"As have I!" Reboot beeped, and opened a small crevice in his chest. A gold tag came out on a tray, and I took it.

"Thanks," I called Ben over, clapping to get his attention. Ben rushed to me and jumped up, barking in excitement. I put the tag on the collar, then gently pushed the collar over the retriever's head and onto his neck. It jingled as he moved, like a bell. "See? Isn't that nice?"

Ben ran around in circles, and I put my fists to my mouth in adoration. He's so cute! "Come on, pupper, let's go watch some Metal Alchemist."

Ben followed me out the room, along with Reboot and Microchip. "You go on without me," said Reboot, "I don't like anime."

I frowned at him. "How. Dare. You."

"Sorry for having an opinion." He said sarcastically. He rolled away, and I entered my living room and sat on my couch, Ben jumping up and sprawling out on my lap. I patted his back as I turned on my TV, finding my recordings. I didn't add the English DUB or SUB, because I was fluent in Japanese. Obviously. I am fluent in a lot of languages. As I watched, Ben watched too, seeming intrigued as soon as the theme song began to play.

For the first time in a while, I actually relaxed, but not entirely. I would have been more relaxed if I wasn't so worried about my Time Watchers. I just hope they haven't encountered them yet...