Evelyn

"I had a dream about Friday," I said to everyone who was circled around our little fire, "or, more like a memory." We were all at our tent next to Andrew's, eating our dinner apart from everyone. The stars twinkled, and the moon was bright. The órös nickered, and the clang of metal was still audible. Each of the hundreds of tents were lit with lamps inside, many fires were burning in the center of the camp.

"What was it, sis?" Asked Madie.

"It was about the time after my concert."

"Oh..."

"What?" Amelia questioned. "Are you in choir?"

"No, Madie and Razz are. I'm in Orchestra."

"Tell us your dream." Charitie encouraged.

I nodded. "It was when Madie and I were the only Time Watchers besides Connor so far, the day after my Eighth Grade Orchestra Concert. My teacher didn't remind us about the fact that it wasn't a rehearsal, it was the real thing, and when I asked things like 'Is it the concert?' or 'What time is it?', he just ignored me. I only learned it was the concert the day of the concert. And because I have a big family, that's a huge problem. So, my dad could only drop me off, and my mom was able to show up in the middle of the last song we played. Obviously, I was extremely mad at my teacher--which I still am--, and I was really upset.

"So, I brought my viola to Friday's house, and as always, I stuffed tissues in the sound holes so no one could hear me."

"Why do you do that?" Amelia asked.

"I have insecurities," I shrugged, "and I don't want to be too loud. Anyway, I was playing alone in his side room, the one Amelia woke up in, and I was playing the songs we played at the concert. I still felt like a loser... When I finished 'Variations On A Sailing Song', Friday was clapping for me. It scared the cookies out of me!"

Everyone laughed softly.

"... But he was so happy for me, even though I messed up, and I was sad, and no one showed up to my concert... He wouldn't stop saying how good I was... Because of him, I felt so much better. I hope he's okay..."

"I remember that..." Said Madie. "I'm still really sorry we couldn't go."

"It wasn't your fault, it was my teacher's."

Charitie joined in the conversation. "Isn't he the one who gives you fifth grade music because he sees you as fifth graders?"

"Yep." I popped the 'p'. "I know it's fifth grade music too because I was his fifth grade student. I never liked him. I still don't, and I still have him." I frowned. "Being an eighth grader sucks sometimes."

"Preach!" Razz exclaimed.

We laughed again, then a sad air surrounded us. We were all thinking back to our memories with Friday, becoming desperate to find him. Some of us shared our lovely, meaningful memories with each other, Amelia not having any because she was still new. Razz shared one about the time they almost started a fire in the lab. Charitie shared one about a rant she and Friday had over a book that should have ended better. Madie shared one about how they made cookies. But what Connor had to share knocked us all off our feet.

"I never told anyone this," he shifted uncomfortably, "and I didn't really plan to... My, uh, my dad got drunk one time. Or high, I don't know. And he started to beat me. I remember, he took off his belt and used it as a whip. I couldn't take it. I also didn't have anyone but him at the time... Um, so, like, I was getting hit, and Samantha couldn't watch without doing anything anymore. Dad grabbed my wrist, the one with Samantha on it, and she zapped him. Obviously, dad freaked, and I ran out of the house."

We waited patiently, watching him get into a comfortable position. I put my hand on his shoulder. He glanced at me, then continued.

"I didn't know where to go, what to do... But Samantha did. She sent me directions, and I blindly followed them. I kept running, staring down at her the entire time. When she told me to stop, I looked up, and I was standing on Friday's front porch. I didn't feel like he'd be up, so I turned to leave, but Sam wouldn't let me. She made a force field wherever I tried to go but the door." He smiled lightly. "So, I had no other choice but to knock.

"It was only a few seconds before the door opened. Friday was standing there with his signature lab coat and screwdriver, staring at me blankly. He let me in, gave me something to eat and drink, and let me sit down on the couch. I took my time in thinking of a way to explain it, and when I began, it just fell out. He listened, and when he saw the areas I got hurt, he cleaned them up and bandaged them. He hugged me awkwardly, and he said that he was so sorry for me, and he..."

Connor hugged his knees, smiling a little more. We waited.

"He offered to adopt me."

"Well, what did you say?" Amelia asked.

"I said that I didn't know, and he said it was fine. And I remember his words very clearly. He said: 'If this happens again, I will not hesitate into taking you home with me, and calling the cops to get that guy behind bars. And I'll make sure he stays there. And you could be with me, and I'll take good care of you. You could help me out on my little adventures through dimensions, and we could explore things no one in the world has ever dreamed of, and we could create things the earth has never seen. So if you ever change your mind, or he does this again, I'll gladly take you in'.

"I asked him not to tell anyone about what I just told you all, so I guess he kept his word."

"Do you want to?" Madie asked. "Be adopted, I mean."

Connor nodded. "He's awesome. If I had a chance to choose him over my dad, which I do, I'd choose Friday in a heartbeat. But the thing is, my dad doesn't know about Friday--none of our parents do--and he hasn't done anything like that in awhile. So I don't really have a reason to leave right now."

"When did your dad do that exactly?" Amelia questioned.

"Two weeks ago, before we met you."

"So that's why you had all those bandages!" Razz snapped her fingers in realization. "Dang, dude!"

"Yeah," he pulled up his sleeve and pointed out a big mark on his arm, "this one hurt the most."

We hissed through our teeth. It was definitely not a pleasant thing to look at, and he hid it well. We had asked him about the bandages, the sores, the scars, the bruises, but he never told us what happened. Come to think of it, I've seen him come to the Professor's house with things like this, but they weren't too extreme, like the ones he has now. I feel bad for him... No one should have to go through something like this. The worst part is, this happens all the time, around the entire world! No one can really stop it.

"It doesn't hurt anymore, though." He insisted, pulling his sleeve back down. "But sometimes if I stretch it too much, it cracks open again."

"I'll break your dad's neck for this," I growled, "and Madeline will scratch him, while I bite him, and Razz will stab him over and over again very slowly, and Charitie will kick and punch his face, and our watches will zap him. Ooh! And Amelia can annoy him to death!" I joked at the end.

We laughed. Connor shook his head. "The scary thing is, is that I know you all will."

"Darn right we will." Samantha agreed. "I am not going to stand by and watch you get hurt anymore."

We talked a bit more, before Madie stood. "I think we should all sleep. It's late, and we've got more walking to do tomorrow."

We all obliged, standing and entering our tent. When I made sure everyone had a blanket and pillow, I turned the oil lamp off, then laid down myself and closed my eyes.