Evelyn

I skipped down the hallway in Professor Friday's house, singing to myself as always. Jericho was playing the melody of the song so I could sing, like he always does when I'm singing. I liked Jericho. He was my buddy. I skidded to a halt in the living room and saw Charitie reading a different book, and Razz talking to Jason about something that I didn't pay attention to. I sat down on the couch, then got up again and walked around. I was full of energy because I was thinking about a book I was writing. I was always full of energy when I thought. I don't know why, though. I wanted to be an official author one day, and I wanted my books to inspire young readers to be authors too, like Christopher Paolini did for me.

Anyway, as I thought, my mind drifted into the past, which was a little funny to think about because I could go to it any time I wanted. I thought of the previous mission we went to when we went to help King Tut. That was fun, but too short in my opinion. Then I thought about the new girl, Amelia. I remembered how I was when I got Jericho. Yep, pretty spooked. But, I got to know Jericho. For some reason, I talk to everything. From my Crossy Road guys to trees, you can count on me to be weird by talking to random things that don't even have ears! Now, Jericho and I are close friends, who are always understanding of each other. Yeah, being friends with a watch is a little sad, but whatever.

As I went to the lab, I thought about how long it would take for Amelia to get used to Lorita. Meeting Amelia, I guessed it would take awhile. As I opened the door, something made a loud boom that made me yelp and jump back. When I walked back into the lab, there was smoke in the air, and Friday was covered in soot, coughing and waving his hand to air the smoke away.

"What happened?" I exclaimed as I walked into the smoky lab.

"I--" He started, but had a coughing fit before he could say any more. When he finally stopped coughing, he rasped, "I was making an invention, but it kind of exploded." He started coughing again and took off his lab coat, waving it in the air, trying to get the smoke away.

I coughed as the smoke came my way, and I looked at the invention he had made... Sorta... The invention was a big box with lots of buttons and a large control panel in the front. "What was that supposed to be?" I asked, waving my hand in the air.

"That was supposed to be a portable-food-making-machine, but the P.F.M.M. must have taken too much information into itself at once." Friday put his lab coat on and observed the P.F.M.M. with a critical eye, then pulled out a screwdriver and began making adjustments.

"Why did you decide to make a P.F.M.M.?" I asked, still coughing.

"I got hungry, and I thought about something no one else had, so I did it." Professor Friday said with a shrug, then he held out his hand. "Wrench."

I took the wrench from the table and put it in his hand. "Wrench." I said like he had. Friday clamped his hand around the wrench, then started to work on the P.F.M.M. again.

"Why didn't you just make something in the kitchen, Professor?" Jericho asked.

Friday looked at Jericho, then sighed. "I don't know." He said, embarrassed. "I just couldn't help myself. I like this stuff, and simple things inspire me. You should know that by now, Jericho."

"... Probably." Jericho agreed.

"Do you want me to make a sandwich for you?" I asked, leaning over a little to see him, which was a little hard because he had stuck his head back into the P.F.M.M.

"Sure." He said, his voice echoing a little bit in the machine. "Make it Nutella."

"On it." I walked out of the lab and headed for the kitchen, the smell of smoke filling the whole house.