Amelia

"Time to get up, Amelia. We have to go soon." Said Lorita in a sweet, kind voice.

I groaned and put the pillow over my head.

"Oh, Amelia." Laughed the watch. "Come on, up you go."

"Mmph... No..."

Lorita paused, then began to vibrate on my wrist.

"What are you doi--"

The watch zapped my hand, making me yelp and jump back in surprise.

"Ow! Hey!"

"Are you up, now?"  

"I guess, but I--"

"Good. I have accomplished my task. Up up, out of bed."

With a groan of annoyance, I slipped out of bed, seeing Charitie was gone already. Getting ready for the day was a quick task; getting my things situated was easy too. I went down one of the staircases, seeing the Time Watchers wolfing down their breakfast. When I entered the kitchen, Andrew greeted me and handed me a plate, then sat down to eat his own food.

Well that was nice of him, Wrote Lorita.

I shrugged and sat away from everyone, eating my meal in somewhat peace.

"Today will be a very great day." Announced Andrew, wiping his mouth with a napkin. "I believe we will gain much ground, even without horses."

"That's good!" Evelyn smiled, giggling lightly. Why was she always so happy? Weirdo.

When we finished our meals, the maids took our dishes and washed them. Some would stay behind to guard the castle with the other servants, while the rest would come to fight in the war. Andrew grabbed everything he needed while we waited for him, our swords, bow and arrows, and daggers clanging against our belts as we shifted. He joined us and led the way out of the castle, and entered the Town Square. Thousands of people were there, each with something on their back or animals to carry it for them. Shepherds had their sheep for food and wool, and some were herding cattle for leather, meat, or to pull wagons and stuff. There were dogs everywhere, and some really strange animals that were like oxen, but also like horses, and they were smaller than you'd think. About the size of a pony, actually. Those animals also pulled small wagons.

"Ah, looks like we're all ready." Andrew sounded pleased. "We should wait a little longer, though, in order to see if anyone else comes."

We obeyed, waiting. The Time Watchers were patient, unlike me, and stared at everyone suspiciously. Andrew continuously glanced at the sky, searching for something. After about twenty minutes, we began our trek to the dark woods, heading northeast. The strange oxen-horses snorted and bellowed as they stomped ahead, pulling the wagons with the strength of an elephant. There was an excitement in the air, and people chattered along with it. Dogs barked as we moved along.

* * *

"Ugh!" I groaned, and the Time Watchers sighed with annoyance. "When are we stopping?"

"When Andrew says so." Connor shook his head, pushing on with the group.

"But I want to stop now!"

"Too bad, we're still going." Razz replied.

"My feet hurt!"

"And you don't think the rest of our feet don't, missy?" Charitie shot in a sassy manner.

"Just stop whining, and maybe it'll go faster." Suggested Evelyn.

I grumbled in annoyance, huffing angrily every now and then.

I looked at Andrew, who was about a few feet ahead of us. He led the group proudly, confidence radiating off of him. I didn't know how he didn't look exhausted, or even if he was exhausted. He looked fine! What the actual heck?!

Several hours past of just walking, and I nearly collapsed in relief when Andrew said we should take a break to eat and drink. Madeline pulled out her water skin and took a sip, passing it around for the Time Watchers. None of them water-falled the drink, and they didn't even bother wiping off the cap when they were done! When it came to me, I recoiled.

"No way, not after you all drank after each other without even wiping your spit off!"

"So what if we didn't wipe it off?" Connor seemed confused. "We're like family. We never do that."

"Ew!" I jumped back. "No way!"

"Then use your own water skin." Madeline took hers back, taking a drought from it again.

"Gladly." I took mine and drank, ignoring the weird looks the Watchers gave me, and ate a few crackers from my pouch, too.

We walked again after ten minutes, and Evelyn came to walk beside me. "Maybe you should try something new in awhile."

"Like drinking after all you gross kids? No thank you. Not for me."

"Well then try something small first, like picking up a bug without freaking out."

"Why are you telling me to do that?"

"I just think it would be a good idea to explore a little bit more. You're kinda introvert around everyone, and I want you to be more extrovert around us, like family. That's what the Time Watchers are anyway, family. And family doesn't shut each other out. Well, some families do, which is sad, but not our family... Do you get what I mean?"

"Not at all."

Evelyn sighed. "Well maybe Lorita can explain it better. I'm bad at using my words." She jogged ahead, walking next to her sister and Charitie.

All she was saying was that you should try something different. You might like it. Wrote Lorita. She was trying to reach out to you, you know. She wanted to help.

I sighed. "K." I didn't necessarily care, to be honest. It was hot, I was sweaty, my legs hurt, my back hurt, and I was hungry again. The next time we stopped, the sun was falling, and it began to grow dark. The villagers set up tents, bonfires, and pens for their animals. Dogs howled as someone practiced playing an instrument. The cook's tent was already heavy with the smell of sweet meat and freshly baked bread. Villagers set their things down and stretched. The oxen-horses--which I was told by Lorita were called 'órös'--nickered and snorted as they were freed from their harnesses and put in the pens. Andrew had our tent built right next to his, for protection of both of us. Villagers began to train with various weapons.

Madeline got the Time Watchers and I food from the cook's tent, handing each of us the food like a mom would. Dang, they really were like a family just by the way they acted around each other. But why did Evelyn want me to be apart of that?