Amelia

I ran home, ignoring my watch as its lit up screen showed the directions to my house. When I got inside, I was gasping for breath, but ignored my aching lungs and ran upstairs. My parents wouldn't be home for awhile, so I looked around for my phone I left in my room. When I found it, I dialed 9-1-1 and held the phone to my ear.

"What are you doing?" The watch asked me, her voice sounding just like a humans'.

"Calling--" I started, but I was cut off by a woman's voice.

"9-1-1. What's your emergency?" The woman asked quickly.

"Hi, yes, this is--" I started.

"Just a mistake." Interrupted the watch. "My daughter accidentally called. So sorry."

"Well, watch your phone, okay? And don't call unless there's a real emergency." Said the woman, then she hung up.

"What the heck?" I blurted, turning off my phone and looking down at my new watch. "Why'd you do that?"

"Professor Friday doesn't want to hurt you. Why were you calling the police?"

"Why? Why? Because he kidnapped me! That's a crime, idiot!"

"I know that! But you ran away from him before he could say anything to you. He was going to explain everything, but you were the one who made a scene. So, he did the only thing he could do."

"Ugh!" Irritation rose within me.

" Do you plan to tell anyone what happened?"

"Duh!"

"And do you think anyone would believe you?"

To be honest, I didn't. I actually hadn't thought about it. My parents wouldn't believe me and would ask if I'm feeling okay, and I didn't really have any close friends who would believe me, either. When I hesitated, I imagined the watch smiling.

"I didn't think so." It said. "Right now, you should do your homework and take a shower before your parents arrive."

"Why are you telling me what to do?" I scowled.

"I'm not. I said you should. I didn't say anything about telling you what to do." It countered.

My watch was seriously getting on my nerves, if you couldn't already tell. Next, I bet you it'll start telling me how to chew and swallow. It's obviously something it would do. Wouldn't it? Anyway, I did my homework grudgingly, then took off my watch to take a shower.

"You don't have to do that. I'm waterproof." It said.

So, I didn't take off my watch as I went to take a shower. When I came out, I dried off quickly and put my clothes on, then went downstairs. I smiled as I saw my parents in the kitchen as they made dinner, and they smiled back at me.

"Hey, pumpkin." Dad said. "Did anything interesting happen today?"

"Yes." I said with a grin, then I told them about everything, and then I concluded by showing them the watch, who hadn't spoken ever since we came downstairs.

"Honey, are you feeling okay?" My Mom asked, feeling my head.

What did I tell you?

"I'm fine, mom. Why don't you believe me?" I pulled away from her touch.

"Well, it's an interesting story." Dad said with his 'I'll-try-to-make-you-feel-better-with-my-tone' voice.

"But it really happened!" I whined. "Where do you think I got my watch?"

"Maybe your friend gave it to you?" Mom turned to continue cooking the spaghetti.

I wanted to say, "You mean the friend that I don't have?", because hey, it's true! But instead I held my tongue and looked at the watch, who's screen wasn't bright like before. I know what you're doing, watch. I thought as I glared down at her--excuse me-- it.

Dad gave my watch a closer look. "The darn thing doesn't even have any hands or numbers! What kind of watch is this?"

I shrugged, disappointed in my parents for not believing in my true story of what happened to me. After dinner, I went upstairs to have a talk with my watch. Yeah, I know. I sound crazy. Deal with it.

"Why didn't you say anything?" I growled in the quiet of my room.

"Because," it said calmly, "I didn't want anything to happen to Professor Friday. If you told, he'll be in big trouble. Bigger trouble than you think."

I scoffed. "I believe that."

"It's a different kind of trouble, Amelia." Lorita said gently.

"What do you mean, 'different kind of trouble'?" I asked.

It didn't reply.

"Hello? Answer me." I ordered.

"Professor Friday can tell you. I don't think I should. It's not my place." It said at last.

I only stared at my watch, annoyed. After that, I went to bed, ignoring its kind 'goodnight, Amelia.'