URBANISM

Italic - inner monologuebold - pastbold italic - dream

bold - past
bold italic - dream

Chapter thirty-five - URBANISM

March 29, 2016

Justin ran off the elevator and straight for the waiting room. He was still in a blue gown the hospital provided with a blue cap over his head. A few relatives were waiting for him to appear with the news. His eyes focused in on Solange, Lynn, Paul, Tina, Matthew and Daniel who were talking with each other. They all slowly looked in his direction; their expressions changing immediately.

"You're bleeding!" Daniel shouted.

"It's not..." He paused, shaking his head. He was so overwhelmed and could hardly talk.

"Is everything okay, Justin?" Solange asked while approaching him. She was too afraid to ask from the look on his face. He even had tears in his eyes. "Oh my god." She covered her mouth in distraught. "Is she okay?" He shook his head no, a tear falling down his cheek. "No. Nooooo." Solange broke down; her crying echoing throughout the room.

They were the only people in the waiting room since it was four in the morning. Beyoncé had been in labor for fifteen hours and finally gave birth to their son. But she immediately went into cardiac arrest on the operating table during the caesarean procedure. "I don't know what happened." He spoke hoarsely. "I can't...I can't believe it."

Tina was the second to cry out. "My baby..." She ran straight for the elevators.

Justin shot up, breathing heavily. He looked around the dimmed room; his heart pounding erratically.

A dream. A horrible dream. "Fuck." He ran his hand over his face. It felt so real. So devastating.

He slowly looked to his left to see his wife laying beside him sleeping peacefully. Just the site of her brought tears to his eyes. The dream felt so real that it made him realize how fortunate he was to have her. "Bee..." He slid closer, wrapping his arm around her. "I love you." She fluttered her eyes open the second she felt his lips on her forehead. "I love you so much."

"Justin?" He pulled back to peer in her eyes. She observed his expression, finally noticing the tears in his eyes. "Hey." She reached out to touch his face. "Baby, you okay?" He shook his head no.

"I just had a bad dream. A really bad one." She could hear the hurt in his voice. "I dreamt that you died. During birth." She carefully sat up, reaching over to turn on the lamp. He rolled over on his back, looking directly up at the ceiling. "It seemed so real. I...I was at the hospital. We all were. Your sister. Our parents...Daniel. I came out still in the scrubs they give you to wear. I was covered in your blood and..." He shut his eyes, forcing the tears back. He hadn't gotten this emotional in a very long time. "Your heart stopped and the doctors kicked me out of the room. They wouldn't let me stay." She sat there nearly in tears. "So I went down to the waiting room to tell your...to tell our family." He paused, sighing heavily. "It was just...it was horrible. It felt so real." He looked up to his left to stare at her. "You're due any day now. It scares the shit out of me. What if that dream is trying to tell me something?"