Chapter 29

(Jack's POV) 

It's been almost three months. No texts. No Calls. No social media. She's gone. And I can't do it anymore. 

"Flight 306 to London is now boarding at gate 34B," The voice said over the loudspeaker as I step on the plane. 

"Enjoy your flight," the flight attendant with to red lipstick says flashing a fake smile. 11 hours later I had landed in London where I had no clue what to do next. 

"Taxi!" I yell as the yellow car pulls to the side of the road. 

"Where to?" The bearded man in the front seat asks. 

"MIS boarding school," I say picturing her small duffel bag in the back of my mind. That night won't stop replaying in the back of my mind. I knew it was wrong to go after Shawn's little sister even when I knew she didn't want us in her life. I figure something happened and if I find out what happened maybe I can convince her to come back. 

"Here we are," the man says staring at me through the rereview mirror. 

"Thanks," I say stepping onto the brick trail which leads to the large door of a brick building that looked older than my grandpa. 

"How may I help you?" Asks the white-haired women behind the front desk. Thinking about her question I really didn't know what I was going to do once I had gotten here. Ask her to come back with me? Or why she left? I glanced at the clock only to see that school was mostly over. 

"I'm looking for the track team?" I say hoping that it sounded like I knew what I was doing. 

"They're by the track," she says with a 'Are you really that stupid face'. 

"Thanks," I say awkwardly before stepping out of the office only to come face to face with Liam, one of Katie's friends who I had met many times on Skype. 

"You're one of the Americans," he exclaims clearly recognizing me. 

"Yeah, I'm Jack Gilinsky," I say holding out my hand. 

"Man, Katie was right you do look like a god," he laughs signaling with his hand for me to follow him. "She misses you," he says quietly after a few moments of silence. 

"She said that?" I ask before thinking about the worlds that were coming out of my mouth. Before I could say anything to recover Liam spoke up.

"You're in deep kid," he laughs running his hand through his perfectly combed back brown hair. 

"I wouldn't have flown to London if I wasn't," I respond knowing what he said was true. We entered what appeared to be a stadium of some sort. Looking down I could see her instantly,  a pink sports bra which perfectly matched her shorts, her hair tied back into a perfect ponytail. As the gun went off she took jolted from where she had previously been bent over on the start line into a perfect stride taking the lead within the first hundred meters. 

"It's the mile," Liam informed me. By the third lap, she was over 300 meters in front of second place and lapped the last two. With 100 meters left in the fourth lap, she was sprinting like nothing else in the world mattered and maybe to her it didn't. But when she crossed the faded white finish line that freedom was gone as she immediately collapsed. "Shit," Liam whispered next to my jumping to the railing in one swift motion dodging parents and other runners trying to get to Katie. Third of who looked like her teammates were huddled around Katie who was clutching her knee. The pained look on her face brought me back to the video on the computer. 

"Hey Love," Liam says when we get close causing me to draw back a bit. 

"Hey Liam," she says tossing on a smile before standing up, balancing most her weight on her right leg. When she saw me I thought she might have to sit down again. Her eye shone with happiness and her smile bigger than I had ever seen it, but only for half a second before she turned cold.

"What do you want?" She asked clearly trying to sound strong but, clearly failing. 

"Oh My God," Her blonde teammate exclaimed. "You're Jack, like Jack And Jack Jack," 

"Yeah," I fade off looking back at Katie who was wearing the same hurt expression. "Listen if this is because of Nash I-," I start. 

"It's not Nash didn't Hayes tell you that?" She asks as she unties her shoes. "You shouldn't be here," she says looking up. 

"I missed you," the hurt in her eyes softened for a moment. "I miss my best friend," I say not being able to look at her anymore in fear of crying. 

"Thanks," she says after a moment of silence. 

"No, that's when you say I miss you too," I respond with a smirk causing her to let out an involuntary laugh. 

"I meant for Paris," she says softly looking at me this time.

"If you come with me right now I'll take you to the real one," I say bumping my shoulder into hers. 

"I can't leave," she says flashing me a small smile.

"I know," I say looking down. 

"You do?" She asks. 

"Yeah, I mean... seeing you here, doing all this," I say gesturing to the track and everything going on. "With them," I look and Stella and Liam who were laughing and eating ice cream in the bleachers. "I can't be that selfish asshole who makes you feel guilty for leaving," I say looking into her once sad eyes. She gives me a small smile before turning her focus back to the race which was going on. This gave me time to admire how she had changed. Her hair looked darker and her skin was lighter making her freckles show. 

"You were right," she said her a small laugh while looking at the ground. 

"I'm right a lot," I say earning myself one of those sarcastic eye rolls I missed so much. 

"About running about from my problems," 

"I didn't think you had any problems which is why I wasn't sure why you left," I say leaving room for her to talk but when she didn't I spoke up again. "If it makes you feel any better I almost hit Nash 'cause I thought he was the reason you left," I say but its almost like she didn't hear me. "You don't need to tell me why you left," I start not knowing where I was going with it. "But please don't shut me out," I say almost crying causing my voice to crack. She looked up at me with red eyes, it hurt to see her cry.

"Is he here too?" she asks. 

"Nash?" I say not knowing who she was referring to. 

"Shawn," 

"No, I didn't tell them where I was going," I say thinking back to this morning and how I left before everyone else woke up. 

"I'm sorry I ran," she says with sincerity in her voice. 

"Will you call?" I ask.

"Jack..."

"Please," my voice sounds weak. She nods. 

"Once a week?" she asks playing with her shoelaces.

"At least, and visit," I say thinking I'm getting through to her. 

"It's easier to let go of someone when you don't see them anymore and cut them out completely-," she starts before I cut her off. 

"But you're not cutting me off, I will fly out here and drag you to LA before you are able to cut me off," I say looking her dead in the eyes.

"I'll call," 

"And..." I question.

"And text," 

"And..." 

"And if I'm ever in the country I'll let you know," she says smiling now. 

"And..." I say again. 

"And I love you, Jack Gilinsky," she says finally looking me in the eyes. 

"I love you Katie Ray Mendes, don't forget me," I say. 

"Wouldn't dream of it," she smiles.