Chapter 21

(Katie's POV) 

My hands flew above my head and before I know it I'm running. It's perfect. I jump into a handspring and then onto the vault falling through with two double ariel flips. I slowly start to feel myself go down and spread my feet out of habit before my feet hit the ground. My knee burns at the contact but I stay standing not letting it bother me. I hear Maddie squeal before she engulfed me in a hug. 

"You did it," she squeals while I'm still speechless standing on the mats. 

"I did it," I say letting it sink in before I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. 

"Katie?" Maddie asks following my gaze to where the guys stand towards the entrance of the gym. 

"I thought I'd get to fight someone," Taylor says looking disappointed as he turns around and walks out of the gym. 

"What?" Maddie asks half smiling. 

"We thought you were meeting guys so we followed you," Cameron says as if it's completely obvious. 

"Don't worry Shawn you're the only guy in my life," I say giving him a kiss on the cheek. My gaze drifted to Nash without me even thinking about it, I quickly snapped out of my gaze, grabbed my bad, and started for the car with Maddie close on my tall. 

"Do you think I should do it?" I ask quietly knowing she still heard me. 

"Do what?" She says not taking her eyes off the road. 

"Nationals," 

"Why wouldn't you, Katie you can compete," she exclaims as if I asked her a stupid question. 

"Shawn, Aliyah, school, life," I say my thoughts trailing off and eventually reaching Nash. God, I like him so much. I know I can't I'm leaving in twenty-two days, maybe forever I can't have a boyfriend who lives an ocean away.

"And who?" she asks sarcastically. 

"You?" I say not knowing what she means.

"I meant the guys," she says with an all-knowing look. "There's always a guy," she smirks. 

"Nash," I say breathing out heavily.

"Whoa I actually didn't see that one coming," she laughs. 

"Its hard with Shawn and everything," I say staring out the window as the cars pass by. 

"Does he know?" 

"Shawn or Nash?" I ask. 

"Nash, does he know you like him?" She says like I should have known what she meant the first time. 

"Yeah, we kinda made out at the guy's party," I say the last part quietly. 

"Dang, I had you down as such a good girl after what I've heard," she smirks as I feel myself start to blush. 

When we got home we all decided to watch 10 things I hate about you. About halfway through the movie, I went to the kitchen with no one seeming to notice I was gone. 

(Maddie's POV)

"Matt where's Katie?" I ask after realized that she's no longer in the seat beside Shawn. 

"I haven't seen her, do you know where Nash is?" He asks making it click in my head. They're together. 

"No clue," I say bitting back a smile. After a few more minutes Katie walks back in the room, her hair a little messed up and not making eye contact with anyone. About thirty seconds later Nash walks in looking down until he's seated. 

(Nash's POV)

I tied to focus on the movie but I kept looking at Katie. I didn't mean to it just happened. Thinking about the other night... and everything I really like her. The movie ended but I wasn't paying attention. 

"Hey Nah, can we talk?" Shawn asks snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Sure," I say walking into the kitchen. "Whats up?" I ask sitting on the counter. 

"Please stop staring at Katie, she's off limits," he said sternly. Shit. 

"Shawn I-" he cuts me off.

"Nash I don't want to hear it I've seen the way you guys treat girls. Stay away from Katie," he says with fire in his eyes.

"Its not just me Cam and the Jacks do it to," I say trying to make him understand. 

"I don't care I will talk to all of them, but she's still off limits," he says while putting on a smile and walking into the theater room. He would have been pissed if he knew Katie and I made out during the movie. When I come back in Katie's eye meet mine but only for a moment before I look away. I need to stay away, I'm no good for her. 

"I'm gonna head out," Maddie says grabbing her bag and walking towards the door. 

"I'm going to bed so... bye," Katie says shyly stretching as she stands up. 

"I think I'll go too," Gilinsky says following her up the stairs earning himself a nasty glare from Shawn who was currently sending daggers into Gilinsky's back. After that everyone slowly started to drift to bed. 

6:03 the clock read the next morning when I left for my run. I could feel my legs getting heavier around the fourth mile when I stopped and walked around the shore. I went into Starbucks I figured I could get Katie and I drink and maybe we could talk things out when I get back. I know I should stay away and she should have better than me but I can't. When I open the door the first thing I see is Katie sitting in a booth on the far side of the room drinking an iced green tea like always, but across from her was a guy. They're both in workout clothes yet neither of them look tired. Have they been here long? Did they come together? God snap out of it Nash, was my last thought before I ran out of the door and farther down the beach. I don't know where I'm going but I can't stay and watch her with him.