Chapter 10

(Johnson's POV)

Whoa

43,494,397 Results in .032 seconds the computer told me as it pulled up pages and pages of records. 

Katie Ray is going to Worlds 

Katie Ray and Team make top Comp

Competing in the US for the first time

The computer pulled up results from world dance contest, pictures of her and some guy in the Bahamas, her and a big trophy, the list went on and on. 

"Shawn, how long have you known Katie?" I asked no looking up from the computer screen 

"I'm not really sure, why?" He asked as I can see fear flash in his eyes, only for a second before its gone.

"No reason," I said still scrolling through my computer. 

'Katie Ray Blows Knee' 

 A video comes up from two years ago. PLAY 

"Welcome to the National Championships of Gymnastics UK." A blonde woman says into a microphone with the Olympics logo on it. "Today I am joined by many of the best gymnasts in the country competing for a spot on team UK to train with the Olympic team and most likely compete in the next Olympic trials. " 

The video continues to show Katie standing on the far end of a runway with her hands above her head. The blonde women keeps talking to me through my headphones but  I'm too focused on Katie to hear a word she's saying. Katie starts running towards a vault, faster and faster I see her run, but in my mind, it slows down like I know whats coming next but I can't stop it to matter how hard I try. 

Her hands flying by her sides as she does some sort of handspring before launching onto the vault and soaring through the air doing two flips before landing with a sharp look of pain in her eyes, not that she was going to let anyone see it. As the audience gasped she looked down to see her kneecap halfway to her ankle and her knee turning a deep shade of purple before falling to the ground with a terrifying scream before the clip ended. 

I must have yelled or gasped or something because when I finally peeled my eyes away from the screen all the guys were staring at me. 

"I have to pee," I said slowly almost like it was a question before practically running to the washroom. I looked at myself in the mirror, I looked pale, tired like I had just seen a ghost. 

"I'm gonna go talk to the girls," I said leaving the guys room. 

(Shawn's POV) 

A few minutes after Johnson left Aaliyah and Lox walked into the room."

"Hey guys," Cam said as they walked in and sat at the end of his bed. 

"Hey," Liyah said as she looked out the window. Lox starting playing music, mixing files, swiping cards on her computer quite loudly I might add. 

"Mind doing that in your room?" Hayes said trying to watch TV.

"I would love to but Johnson told Liyah and I he had to 'talk' to Katie," Lox said dryly.

"YOU GOOGLE SEARCHED ME," Katie screamed from the next room over. Without missing a beat Gilinsky pulled up  JJ's search history on his computer digging through everything until he clicked on a one minute clip from the nationals gymnastics finals. A blonde woman appears on the screen and started talking, but all I could think about was how this involved Katie. 

Until I saw her on the runway, hands above her head, hair in a tight little bun, it was definitely her. She started running faster and faster down the runway, confidence in her eyes, she knew what she was doing. Moving swiftly she lanches onto her hands and then again onto the vault. Doing two different style flips before landing as pain shot through her face she tosses her hands in the air to signal that she is done as the audience gasps. She looks down as the color drained from her face before she fell over screaming in pain as the clip ended. 

We sat there in silence, Liyah on the verge of tears, no one else knowing what to say.

"GET OUT," Katie yelled again, her voice confident and strong before we heard the door slam. We all waited for what was going to happen next when Johnson opened the door.

"Why are you on my computer?"He asked as we all moved away acting like we didn't do anything before he grumbled some choice words and snatched his computer from Gilinsky's lap. 

"Lox can I have your room key?" I asked not really waiting for an answer before I snatched it out of her hand and made a deadbolt for the girls' room.

"Katie?" I said quietly as I walked in to see her sitting on her bed with headphone on staring at her computer. I slowly walked over to her. When I got so close I could see her screen I knew what she was watching. It was the video, the same blonde women, the same red mats, the same fearless Katie on the screen. 

"Hey," I said gently tapping her shoulder. 

"Hey," she said pulling her headphones around her neck. The red lines around her eyes showed that she was crying. She had yet to look at me, staring at the video still playing on the screen. 

"I've watched it over a hundred times," she said almost smiling. " They said I might not ever walk again," she said as her smile faded. 

"Why'd you fall?" I asked not sure if she would break.

"I thought about leaving London, I would've had to go somewhere else to train. I love London its home," she said staring off into space. 

"Why'd you come back?" I asked softly. "Was it the injury, just give me a reason, please," I said dying to know whats wrong with my little sister.

"I don't know," she paused like she was thinking. "Closure, trying to figure out what to do in three months when I graduate, figuring out if I missed you enough to come back to Canada," she whispered so quietly I almost didn't hear it. 

"I don't like it when my little sister cries," I said pulling her in for a hug as she buried her head in my chest.

"I don't like it when my brothers halfway across the world," she mumbled into my shirt.

"We'll have to fix that," I laughed lighting the mood.

"FAMILY HUG!" Liyah yelled from the doorway with Lox and Cameron behind her.

"How much of that did you hear?" Katie asked while Liyah hugged us so tight I couldn't believe she could talk.

"Enough to know Katie isn't Liyah's tutor," Cam said smirking in the doorway.