Chapter 4

(Katie's POV)

I woke up the next morning with Aaliyah's head snuggled into my shoulder and her messy hair all over my face. I slowly sat up making sure that I don't wake up Liyah. I slowly walked down the stairs towards the kitchen. I stopped when a saw family photos on the mantel. They were all so perfect, the perfect family. Two kids who matched in every picture, a mom and a dad who looked at each other lovingly in every photo. I'm in none of them. There aren't pictures from before I left. Manny still doesn't know that I'm back unless Shawn or Karen told him. 

"They never told me about you," Aaliyah stated from behind me. I jumped at the sound of her voice, I'm so used to being alone in the morning that any noise really freaks me out. My roommate Stella always had a first block class, so she was always gone by the time I woke up in the morning. 

"I know," I did and the words hurt, I didn't want to admit that Liyah deserved an older sister and that I was never there for her, but it was my choice to leave. 

"Why'd they send you away?" She asked quietly almost as if she wasn't really talking to me, just to the idea of me. 

"They didn't," I said softly almost embarrassed, but I couldn't grasp why.

"You left?" She questioned as she stared right at me but I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes.

"I told them I didn't want to stay here anymore and after screaming at each other for hours mom finally gave up and told me to pack my bags." I replayed that day in my head over and over again, yet I couldn't figure out why I wanted to leave. I remember the excitement of running upstairs and packing all of my favorite clothes. But I have no clue why I was so mad at them. 

"You just walked out?" She said like it was a shock, see a seven-year-old girl flying across the ocean because she didn't want to live with her family. I laughed a little to myself.

"I ran out the door," I said a little louder. "I got on the plane without saying goodbye and never gave it a second thought."  She looked at me in awe as if she didn't believe that I would do it. "Let's go make breakfast," I said mostly to get out any more questions about London.

"Can we make pancakes?" She asked with happiness in her eyes that wasn't there a minute ago.

"We can make whatever you want," I say happy to finally have a little sister. After about 30 minutes of totally destroying the kitchen, we had made pancakes, eggs, and tons of bacon. Karen left for work around ten minutes ago leaving Aaliyah and I to throw eggs at each other in peace. Liyah through an egg and hit me right in the shoulder.

"You're so on," I yelled as I whipped a spoon of pancake batter across her face. Her expression was so funny I couldn't handle it. Before I knew it I felt a burning sensation on my check. Liyah was dying laughing on the other side of the room still holding the spoon she had used to paint my cheek with pancake batter.

"Your face," she managed to say between laughs.

"You're so dead," I yelled as I whipped an egg at her, she ducked right before the egg would have hit her in the face. Which just happened to be the same time Shawn walk around the corner still half sleep... well still half sleep until he got hit in the head with an egg. The kitchen was so silent you could hear a pin drop when suddenly the front door burst open as Cameron came running into the kitchen. 

"Dude you're not going to believe," he started to say. " What the hell happened in here?" He asked watching the egg slowly drip onto Shawn's shirt. Shawn remained silent for a good three seconds before all three of us burst of laughing at what had just happened.

"Who wants breakfast?" I asked as I walked over to the sink to try and get to pancake batter out of my hair before it was too late. 

 "ME," Shawn and Liyah yelled as Shawn cut in front of me to get to the bacon.

"Hey," I whined trying to shove him out of my way. 

"Sorry shortie better luck next time," he laughed popped a piece of bacon into his mouth before going to sit down. It wasn't until then that I realized that Cameron was still standing there looking at all of us with an extremely confused look on his face. Shit, he still thinks I'm Aaliyah's tutor! How in the world was I gonna get out of this one? 

"Well, Aaliyah it looks like we're done with our morning session, so I'm gonna grab my bag from your room and head out okay?" I asked hoping Shawn or Aaliyah would catch on. Shawn gave me a questioning look before he remembered.

"That sounds great! Thanks again for coming by so early," He said after putting everything together. 

"No problem, Aaliyah make sure you take your time on Monday's quiz and I'm sure you'll do great," I said flashing a quick smile and darting past Cameron up the stairs.