Chapter 26

(Katie's POV) 

"What was I thinking?" I rant to Johnson later that night back in the hotel room. "I can't like him I'm leaving soon," I tell myself pacing back and forth across the room. 

"Why not?" He asks after I told him all about my night. 

"Cause one morning I'll be gone and then what? I leave and we both get left with broken hearts? I care about him too much for that," I say going to sit on the bed next to Johnson. 

"Why not stay you have like three months left of school just do it online," he says making it sound like a simple solution. 

"I really like Nash but, not enough to give up my whole life in London and what-" I was cut off by my phone ringing. 

"Hello," I answer the un-saved number. 

"Hello Katie, this is Miss York we spoke last week," she says pausing. 

"Of course," I say waiting for her to go on. 

"I was wondering if you had considered our offer," I told a slight glance at Johnson who was staring at me intensely. 

"I would love to come, when do I have to be in London?" I ask as Johnson's eyes go wide.

"Fourteen days," her voice rings through the phone. 

"I'll be there," I say before the line goes dead. 

"When" Johnson croaks not looking at me.

"Fourteen days," I say sitting back down giving him a side hug and burying my head in his shoulder. 

"Why are you leaving?" He asks no one other than Maddie knew what the call last week. 

"Last week the Olympic coach stationed in London asked to if I would like to join the team, she was calling back I see what my answer was... I said yes," I say looking at my feet. "It's a good way to get away from Nash and still be tight with Shawn," I say as if my plan has no flaws.

"Wow the Olympics that great," he says with fake cheer in his voice. I suddenly felt sadness take over.

"I'm gonna miss you," I say before I start sobbing into his chest.

"Don't cry you're so strong," he says rubbing my back. "You're gonna go kick ass in the Olympics and your best friend will come to watch just to make sure it happens," he whispers into my hair. 

"Hey guys," I say nervously walking into the living room later that night. 

"Hey Baby Ray," Gilinsky replies with a wink. 

"I need to talk to you guys," I say causing Shawn to look up. 

"I'm going home," I say not managing to look any of them in the eyes. 

"Home?" Matt asks. 

"London," I say glancing at him for a second. 

"Now?" Nash asks trying to hide what sounds like a mixture of anger and sadness in his voice.

"Two weeks," I say knowing it only cut six days off my trip but that's six more days without Shawn. 

"Why?" Shawn croaks. My heart drops as I go and hug him tightly. 

"I'm going to compete on the Olympics trails team, they're training in London," I respond with a smile hoping he'd be proud of me. 

"I'm so proud," he says with a smile that doesn't reach his eyes before walking out of the room. I turn around to see that most of the boys have left the room the only ones left are Nash, Hayes, and Gilinsky. Nash has tears in his eyes and looks sad but, mostly pissed off. 

"You're really leaving," he says as if I'm going say no. 

"It's a great opportunity," I say lightly hoping he'll calm down. 

"You're just gonna run away," he says now looking more hurt than mad. 

"You know it's not like that," I say with sympathy. 

"That exactly what it's like," he yells which scares the crap out of me. "I really like you, don't you and I know you said you were leaving, I'm just not ready to let go this soon," he says sounding defeated as he sits down of the sofa. 

"I can't say," I say looking him in the eyes. 

"Why are you so scared," he says. His voice makes the air hitch in my throat. 

"What?" My voice croaks. 

"Why are you so scared of getting close to people," he raises his voice from sad and desperate to angry and passionate. 

"I don't like depending on people," I say slowly. "Because people leave," my voice drops. "all the time all you really have is yourself and at the end of the day that has to be enough. And after some time you realize that you can't blame them for leaving you can only blame yourself," I pause.  "Cause you're never going to be enough for them," I say staring at the floor forgetting about everyone else in the room until I felt arms around me. I don't care who is it I bury my face in their shoulder. 

"I'm sorry Baby Ray," Gilinsky whispers into my hair. 

"You have nothing to be sorry about," I say breathing in his sent of honey and cinnamon. 

"He left," Gilinsky pauses. "Mumbling some choice words about the motherfuckers who hurt you," he says causing my to laugh slightly. 

"I'm sorry," I whisper into his shoulder. 

"And why are you sorry?" He chuckles 

"Cause you're a really good person," I say images of my past flashing in the back of my mind. He pulls away and gives me a questioning look. 

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" He says giving me a look that made me want to spill my guts. I nodded slowly before turning and walking up the stairs. I knew I couldn't tell him anything, I buried everything a long time ago.