Epilogue

Epilogue

Jace

I stood, staring out into the field of grape vines. The sun poured down, the heat only a few degrees from unbearable. 

"God," Cam laughed, stepping up onto the country style wooden fence I had put in only weeks ago. "That wedding was such a sham." 

I ignored him. The last thing I wanted to think about was that damn wedding. I tired to stop it, I tried to get Adam back, one last shameful attempt that ended in failure and rejection. I knew I had hurt him; that I was the one that fucked up our relationship. He was trying so hard to keep us together while I was messing around with Cam. 

"Are you okay?" Cam asked, jumping of the fence and making his way over to me. 

His blonde hair practically glowed in the sunlight, filling my head with memories of Adam even further. Cam wrapped his arms around me, hugging me tightly. I wrapped my arms around him in turn, leaning my head down and breathing in the scent of his hair.

I always bought Cam the same shampoo Adam had used. 

Over the years, I slowly started getting Cameron to change. First, his style of clothes, his hair products, finally I convinced him to dye his black hair blonde. He noticed, I knew he noticed. The way he looked at himself in the mirror at night, lost, as if he didn't recognize himself. A mix of emotions on his face, all caused by me. When I had asked him about his hair, dyeing it, he looked so hurt, so betrayed. He left that night, saying he had errands to run. The next time I saw him his hair was pure blonde and he was making his classic horrible jokes.

Cameron ignored the fact that I was making him into a replacement for Adam. He was in love with me, he was so crippled in life that he couldn't handle not having me. 

Now, we were engaged and owned my family farm. Mom and Dad moved to the east coast in North Carolina to be closer to Charlie and his new family and Adam. They passed down the farm to me, the only thing they took with them was their items, Nightmare, and my grandmother's wedding ring, which Mom had given to Tony to give to Adam. Charlie was okay with it, and at the time, I wasn't planning on getting engaged to Cam. I hadn't ever planned on getting engaged to Cam, but here I am.

I turned the farm into a pure wine vineyard, hiring staff and adding events so people could pay to tour and spend the day here. It was successful.

It felt worthless.

"Let's go inside," Cam said, letting me go. He grabbed my hand and started dragging me to the house.

Our relationship was a lie. The love between us wasn't true. We both were depending on each other to keep from falling apart. This was it. This is what I get. I ruined the greatest thing I ever had and this is my punishment.

This is my life.