Chapter Sixteen - Home Again

«Adam»

"I'm sorry," Jace said, as he gripped the steering wheel.

"For what?" I asked, staring out the window.

"For my family . . . for telling them . . . for . . . everything," he gritted out; his knuckles turning white.

"You don't have to apologize. It's not your fault, it's mine," I sighed, my breath fogging up the window.

"Adam--"

"It's my fault for freaking out. It's my fault for making you tell them."

"Adam," he said again.

"Everything is my fault. What he did is my fault," I whispered, more to myself than him.

"Adam--"

"God, I'm so disgusting," I hissed, clawing at my arm. I wanted out of this skin, so dirt it was more of a used rag than a body.

Jace stomped on the breaks, the car squealing in response. I jerked forward, the seatbelt chocking me.

"Enough!" he yelled, making me jump. "It's not your fault and you're not disgusting!"

We sat there, in silence. I stared out the window, not wanting to look at him, not wanting to see the look on his face.

Rick honked his horn behind us. "Somethin' wrong boys?" he yelled out the truck.

Jace didn't say anything, he just started to drive again.

. . .

"We're here," Jace announced as we pulled into my driveway.

He got out, ran over to my side and picked me out of the car, holding me princess style.

"I can walk," I said, trying to get out of his arms.

"Then I'll let you down at the door," Jace said as he began to walk. I knew it was useless to try and fight him on this.

Jace's family came out of the truck, stomping right behind us.

I felt like a sacrifice being walked to the gates of hell. I wasn't a sacrifice, but I was surly being walked to the gates of hell.

Once we got to the front door Jace put me down and the door flung open.

"Adam, what are you doing here? And skipping school!" she said, acting like a mother while looking like a fancy whore.

"Shut up Jena, they know," I sighed, taking a step forward.

"What do they know honey?" she asked, grabbing my shoulder and gripping it violently.

I grabbed her hand, throwing it off my shoulders. "Can you not? Do you know how disgusting it sounds when you call me that? God, it's almost as bad as your fugly face you cow."

She glared at me, losing her mother persona. "So they know?" she asked.

"Unfortunately, yes, but they promised not to tell anyone or interfere, right?" I turned to Rick, looking for an answer.

"Right," he said, arms crossed and stance threatening.

"Why are you such a dumbass?" she asked flicking me in the forehead.

"Why are you such a bitch?" I asked, rubbing my head.

"Can you people get off my property?" she looked over at Rick and Mary, obviously trying to be rude.

"Can you seriously shut up?" I snapped at her and turned towards Jace and his family. "Thanks for letting me stay at your house and taking me home."

"Charlie, Mary, go back to the car," Rick said and they left without another word. "Can we come in Miss?"

"No," she bluntly said, grabbing my shirt and pulling me in the house. "Thanks for bring back my queer mutt, but I don't want anything to do with you people." Jena started closing the door only to have Rick's giant hand stop it.

"That there is a good kid, don't be beating on him," Rick said, throwing my dufle bag in front of us.

"A good kid?" she laughed. "That shows how much you know."

"Hey, at least I didn't marry a man that diddles little boys," I sneered making her swivel and back hand me. I didn't even try to keep myself on my feet.

"Jace!" Rick snapped, grabbing him as he bolted forward.

Both Jena and I ignored him.

"At least I'm not a diddled little boy," she sneered, glaring dangers at me. She turned to Jace and Rick. "You two get out of my house before I call the police." She said and walked off.

As soon as the devil left the room, Rick let go of Jace and he practically pounced on me.

"Are you okay?" he asked, grabbing my face and looking at my check.

I hit his hand away, sighing. "I'm fine."

We sat there in silence. The only reason I was staying in the awkward situation was because I couldn't stand up again.

"Do y'all need a moment?" Rick asked.

"I think we just did," I laughed, which did nothing as they both silently stared at me.

"Can you even stand?" Jace asked, obviously seeing right through me.

"Well --"

"Adam!" I heard Matt and was suddenly grabbed from behind. "I knew you would come back!"

Matt picked me up, spinning me around in his arms.

"Put me down!" I barked, only for him to dramatically stop, making my body jerk in the way he was spinning. "God! Why me?"

"Who are you?" Jace asked, glaring at Matt.

"Who are you?" Matt retorted back.

"I'm someone who doesn't want to be here," I announced only to be ignored.

"I'm Adam's friend," Jace said.

"I'm Adam's boyfriend," Matt said and shock filled Jane's eyes.

"No you're not so put me down!" I yelled, elbowing him in the side and making him drop me.

"Fuck!" Matt yelled, holding his side. "You didn't have to elbow me!"

"And you didn't have to grab me like King Kong! I may be a blonde but im sure as hell not into bestiality!" I snapped back.

"You need to calm down," Matt said.

"And you need to back off," I said, glaring at him.

"Um . . . what?" Jace asked, making both Matt and I look over at him.

"I think you should go," I said. "I'll see you tomorrow at school."

He just stood there. "O-Okay, see you tomorrow then . . ." he trailed off and walked out with Rick.

"He's weird," Matt said.

"You're weird, now help me up," I ordered, holding up my arms.

He sighed, grabbing me and completely picking me up off the ground again.

"I said help me up not pick me up."

"And I don't care," he said, walking into the living-room.

He put me down and sat next to me on the sofa.

"What are you doing?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"We are going to watch a movie," he said as he turned in the t.v.

I sighed and leaned back into the cushion. If I couldn't get away I might as well enjoy it.