Chapter Thirty-Four - No Thanks for Thanksgiving

«Adam»

"You are looking mighty nice," I said to Duck as I clipped on the collar we took an hour to pick out for Thanksgiving. 

He held his head up with pride, looking at me like a cool kid. Once I finally clipped the collar on he pranced around in front of me, striking a pose by holding one of his paws up and looked in a random direction that worked even if it was uncoordinated.

"Damn dog, you lookin' fine," I whistled, making Duck jump around. He suddenly froze, his hair standing up as he crouched down and growled in my direction. I knew he wasn't growling at me, so I turned around to come face to face with Jace. 

We hadn't talked once since he called me pathetic. I spent my few days with Mary and Charlie while Jace had spent his time with Cam. Our relationship was falling apart, I slept on the couch of in the barn with Nightmare the last few nights.

"What is it?" I asked smiling and snapped my fingers to stop Duck from growling.

He stood there, staring at me before saying, "You're beautiful."

I stared at him, a little shocked. After a few day of not acknowledging each other and that what's he thought of saying?

"Thank you?" I kept my smile, even when I wanted to drop it off my face and slap it onto his.

We stood there, staring at each other. 

"You're so fucking beautiful," he repeated, reaching forward and grabbing my hand. He lightly rubbed his thumb against my fingers, making me think of Tony.

I pulled my hand away.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my smile gone. Jace was acting weird and I didn't want him to touch me.

It didn't feel right.

"I love you," he said, a bland look on his face.

I felt a shiver go down my spine, one of fear. "Jace, you're scaring me." An uncomfortable silence filled the room and I didn't want to stay. "We should talk later," I said, walking past him. 

A hand wrapped around elbow, hard, yanking me back. I stared at Jace shocked as he gripped my arms holding me in front of him. "Didn't you say you wanted it to work?" he asked, his voice calm and even.

I started to tremble, "Y-Yeah, but--"

Jace interrupted me, "Then let's make it work" He pulled me forward kissing me roughly.

"Stop!" I yelled and he slid his tongue in my mouth, disgust filling my entire being. His tongue like slim in my mouth.

I struggled against him, finally getting free and slapping him. "I said stop!" I yelled.

He was holding his face, looking away in the position his head snapped into as I slapped him. Slowly he turned towards me, his face becoming clear.

His face was chipped, black lines showing defined cracks in his skin. Like glass, he was chipping away, another face underneath. 

Fear completely consumed me, my throat closing. This wasn't Jace.