Chapter Twenty-One - From Magic to Make-out?

«Adam»

Alex went through his routine of tricks his eyes locking with mine every so often, his gaze becoming calm, cool, and sharp; then he would look away, his eyes laughing with the audience.

"I need a volunteer for my last two tricks," Alex said and hands went up faster than a salute to Hitler. "You," he said, pointing at me.

"Me?" I asked, pointing at myself.

"Yep!" He nodded with his words.

I stood, working my way out of the bleachers of people. I got to the stairs and Alex held out his hand to help me. I took it and he led me to center of the stage.

"Now," he said as the woman gave him a basket of ping pong balls. "I have ten, blank, real ping pong balls. Mind testing one out?" he asked, holding out the basket to me.

I grabbed a ball, held it up to the light, and threw it on the ground only to catch it as it defied gravity for me. "100 percent real," I said, putting the ping pong ball back.

"Okay! So, can you please take off your beanie and hold it out like a bag?" Alex asked.

I took off my beanie, holding it out for him.

"So," he said, dumping the ping pong balls into my beanie, "I will ask ten questions about my wonderful volunteer and get the answer from one of these ping pong balls."

I laughed a bit, trying to keep it in.

Alex looker at me with amusement. "You don't believe me?"

"Well, unless you can talk to ping pong balls, I doubt you'll get an answer," I said.

"Then let me amaze you," he said, a smirk on his face. "Let's see how old you are," he said reaching into my beanie and pulling out a ping pong ball. "Sixteen," he said looking down at it, "right?"

"Yeah, but how--" I started and he turned the ping pong ball showing the number written down in sharpie on the ball. "What?" I said, looking inside my beanie. "But they're all still blank."

"Magic," he said simply throwing the ball back and having his assistance catch it. He reached in, pulling out another one. "Your name is Adam, right?" he said showing the audience the ball with my name.

"Yes," I said, knowing you already knew the answer.

"And your favorite food is . . ." yet again he took a ball, "Chocolate."

I agreed as he assistance caught the ball now juggling them.

"You're favorite show is . . . Teen Titans?" he asked, skeptical.

"Who doesn't love Teen Titans?" I said.

"The ugliest person you know is . . . Jena Hails?"

A loud laugh came from the audience, causing everyone to look over. It was Tony who now had his mouth covered.

I couldn't help but laugh a bit myself. "Yeah."

"Okay . . . The most beautiful person you know is . . . Mr. Magic Alex?" he asked, an amused look on his face. "Right?"

I coughed a bit. "Um . . . yeah," I said, looking away from the crowd at the curtain.

"Well thank you very much," Alex said, making a heart with his hand towards the audience. "I think I know enough about you, you can put your beanie back on."