Chapter Nine - Friends

«Adam»

"I can believe you actually drove that to school," Tony said, shaking his head in disapproval. "You could have just come with me." He glanced over at his motorcycle, which compared to the others who rode them to school, was ten times better.

"Yeah . . . No. The devil would burn me alive and you would probably push me off while going fifty," I closed my door, making sure to lock it. My car look like a bigger rust bucket than it actually was next to the high-end sport cars some of the students had. This school was for rich kids, and I wasn't one of them.

"Adam!" I heard a familiar could try voice and turned around. It was Jax of course.

"Jace!" I yelled and ran towards him. I need to make sure he didn't tell anyone about before. Two steps was all I got before Tony grabbed my hood and yanked me back. I gagged as he strangled me. "What the hell?" I glared at him, rubbing my throat.

"What? I thought you wanted me to be mean like usually," he said with a sly smirk. Pushing my head back with his fingers. "Right?"

I swung at him, which was a mistake. He grabbed my arm, turning us around, and pushed me up against the car. I dropped my bag, all the books falling out. He gave me the same bland look as before, the same tight grip only this time he had both of my wrists in his hands and his leg between mine. A wave of fear ran through me.

"You might have hit me two times, but don't think you can do whatever you want. We both know I can easily overpower you."

I bit my lip, avoiding his gaze. It was so true I wanted to try harder to retaliate even if it would go to waste. He pushed against me more and his hands tightened around my wrist. It felt like I was on the verge of crying.

"I . . . I know," I gritted out, trying to push him off me.

He let me go, pushing himself back with the car. His old smile came back and his eyes had life in them again. "As long as you understand," he chuckled, walking away.

"Are you okay?" Jace asked, grabbing my hands and looking at my wrists. Tony left marks. "What was that?"

"That's what I want to know," I whispered, pulling my hands out of Jace. "But more importantly! Let's go in, I need to talk to you."

He agreed and picked up my books. We went in, a few gay insults and paper ball were thrown our way. Nothing that a few Christian jokes didn't fix.

"So," Jace said, putting my stuff on my desk, "whatcha ya want to talk about?"

All eyes were on us. People glanced and stared. I couldn't say anything with everyone's ears turned towards us.

"Follow me," I said pulling Jace to the back. No one was back there, but it was still in ear shot. "You didn't tell anyone about what happened, did you?"

Jace gave me the most offended face I'd ever saw. "You think, I, told people?"

"No! I just . . . well, I've never really . . . No one else know and . . ." For once, I didn't know what to say. No funny comment or insult could get me out of this situation. "Jace, I--"

The bell rang interrupting my words. He sighed and ran a hand down his face. "I have to go, but just know, I'm your friend, you can trust me. I would never tell anyone."

I opened my mouth to say something, but he just walked away. I stood there stunned, how he could say something like that so easily was beyond me.

A big hand landed on my shoulder and pushed me to the side. I turned to face a killer giant. He had black hair, sharp eyes and was built of a professional football player. I was going to be crushed.