Chapter Fifteen - The Past Brought to the Present

«Adam»

We sat in the living room. Jace had put me on big chair only big enough for one person. Everyone else sat in front on me on chairs and sofa.

"So, are you going to explain?" Harold, the cop, asked.

I took a deep breath, a not in my throat. "I was abused . . . sexually . . . by my . . ." I tried off. Disgust travelling through my body.

"Mother?" Mary asked, I shook no, covering my eyes for a second as tears filled them.

"Father?" Jace said with a quiet voice. I nodded, taking in a deep shaky breath.

I removed my hand, looking at them all. "My . . . father," my voice became high as I said the word. Chocking on it as tears fell down my face. I hadn't said that word in six years. "For five years . . . until I was ten."

"So it started you were five?" Harold asked as if he was interviewing me.

"Kids usually don't remember things when that young, but I remember. God, I remember. Every detail, every word, every . . . touch that I didn't understand until I was laying in the bag of filth called my body. If . . . if only I could forget . . . forget . . ."

"Happy Birthday!"

"Happy Birthday!" I yelled back as I blew out the candles on my cake.

"How does it feel to be five big man?" Dad asked, cutting me the biggest piece of cake he could.

"Awesome! Imma big boy now!" I yelled proudly, a smile on my face. Five years old meant you were a big boy, dad explained that too me last year.

"Yes you are!" He shot back laughing, handing me my place of cake and ice cream.

I shoveled it in my face as if it would disappear. "When's mom going to come home?" I asked.

He patted my head, giving me a small smile. "Not for a few days buddy, sorry she had to work on you're birthday."

"It's okay!" I beamed, "We can have fun by ourselves!"

He chuckled, ruffling up my hair. "And that's just what we'll do!"

We finished our cake and ice cream, opened presents, joked around and watched a movie past my bed time. I, of course, got what I wanted for my birthday. I got a big boy bike without training wheels. I couldn't wait to ride it, but I had to wait until mom came home so she could see me.

"Hey bud, I have a surprise for you," Dad smiled, shaking me as the movie ended. I was tired, and it was way past my bed time. Not that it was a problem, but I just want to go to sleep.

"What is it?" I asked, my eyes half closed.

"Come on," he said, tugging on my arm.

I got up, yawning, and slowly followed him to his and Mom's room. I walked in to see candles, red flowers, and red flower petals all over the bed. I saw dad give on of those red flowers to mom before.

"So, what do you think?" Dad asked, looking at me with a proud look on his face

"Good job," I said, just to be nice. Maybe he was going to let me sleep in his room tonight. Mom always did when dad was gone for the night.

He picked me up, and I leaned against him, ready to sleep in his arms. He sat on the bed, lightly stroking my hair.

"You know daddy loves you, right Adam?" He asked.