Chapter 5

"Samara what happened? Why did you suddenly decide to go to L.A? What's going on?" Samara was bombarded with questions by her roommates Cassidy and Jennifer as she was sitting in the leasing office to give her notice to leave the house.

She knew that her roommates wouldn't believe anything she says about meeting Grayson so she lies, "My brother is sick and he lives alone in L.A, he has no one to look after him so I have to be there for him." Part of it is true though, she does have an older brother who lives in L.A.

"So you can go visit him for awhile, you don't have to move all the way to L.A. What about your work?" Cassidy asked

Samara smiled as she thought about Grayson, "I've found a job there, something that's more me. Trust me I know what I'm doing guys."

*******************

After giving her notice, Samara planned her whole speech in mind as she was walking through the busy streets of San Francisco. She was going to quit her job today as Grayson told her to but she was aware that her boss wouldn't let her quit so easily because she had signed a three-month contract with them. 

Samara arrived at the empty bar. Since it was daytime, there was hardly anyone there other than the workers from last night cleaning up the place. She spotted her boss, Max counting a bundle of notes.

"Max I need to talk to you." Samara said as she approached him.

"Oh Samara what brings you here at this time?" Max said without looking up

"I wanna quit" Samara announced

This caught Max's attention and he looked up. He raised his eyebrows as if he was daring her to say that again.

"What did you just say?" Max asked her, daring her to repeat herself

Samara repeated herself, more firmly this time "I said, I quit."

Max started laughing loudly before speaking "Sweetheart, you can't quit. You have a three-month contract with us remember."

Samara internally cringed at the nickname before continuing, "You can't force me to work here. I don't want to work at this awful place. I QUIT."

Max was pissed now, he turned around and yelled at the workers "What is wrong with her? She was fine last night and now she suddenly wants to quit."

One of the workers replied, "Its Grayson Dolan, he came to the bar last night. I'm sure he is the one that provoked her that he'll make her an artist and he'll release her album."

Max expression turned from angry to amused, "Oh I see, Grayson Dolan huh." He said as he threw today's newspaper at her. Samara was startled by his action as she caught the newspaper.

Max indicated towards the newspaper, "Go on, read it."

Samara looked at the newspaper and there she saw Grayson's picture on the front page, trashing a bunch of guys.

"He had a fight with a few guys yesterday and left the concert before it even started. The organizer of the concert was crying on the camera. There are so many more stories about him but no news about his work. So you think that he's going to release your album" Max explained

Samara was silent, she knew Max was right. She couldn't argue with him about the facts he just stated.

Max continued "A man that is living off his hit songs from yesterday can only pass time with you. Do you know why? He asked

Samara looked at him and waited for him to answer his own question.

"Because that's what you're worth of" Max answered before laughing out loud.

Samara felt her eyes brim with tears. She wasn't sure whether it was because of Max's hurtful words or because he was perhaps right about Grayson.

She snapped out of her thoughts as she saw Max's eyes widened and shocked expression on his face as he looked past Samara.

Samara turned around to see who he was looking at.

It was Grayson.

Grayson walked towards Samara and Max with his manager, Noah, behind him.

Max spoke nervously, "Mr. Dolan, its so nice to meet you."

Grayson looked at Max with a cold hard expression and spoke, "I'm here to take Samara because I don't want her to waste her life in this dump." His tone was dangerous and threatening.

Max gulped.

Grayson continued, "One more thing, you run a bar and live off artists. So learn how to respect an artist. One's that sing at your bar and the one's whose songs help you run your bar."

Max just silently looked down, as Grayson said "Noah, throw the money at his face. He isn't worthy of any respect."

Samara didn't move her eyes away from Grayson since he walked in the bar. She couldn't believe he just did that for her.

Grayson finally looked at her and grabbed her hand, "Let's go Sam."