17

++

"It's been two minutes." Monica called through the door as I stared at the stick. My stomach was rolling in knots. This changes everything in my world.

It was positive. Two pink plus signs. I was pregnant. It could be a mistake though. I'm sure there are false positives all the time. Maybe I'll go to the doctor and it'll be just some indigestion. How could this happen? I know I was pretty drunk the first two times but I'm sure Rob was careful. What if I was farther along though? Alex and I hadn't slept together in almost a year though! No way it could be anyone other than Rob.

"Ry, did you hear me?" Monica knocked on the bathroom door again.

"Uh yeah," I said shaking my head. "It's fine."

"Are you?" She asked sounding ready to pass out.

I couldn't tell her the day she was losing her kind of boyfriend that I was pregnant. I could tell her it was a mistake and even if I am I can tell her later. Ugh that sounds so bad! I don't want to lie to my best friend. I also don't want to tell her the truth.

"Riley are you pregnant?" Monica asked again.

"No, I don't, I can't be." I was actually crying when I opened the door to face her. "Rob told me he's falling in love with me and I believed him. I love him too but this is too much. I can't be pregnant. He'll think I'm trying to trap him for money or something crazy. This could end our relationship."

Monica pulled me into a hug. "Shhh, first things first."

I nodded stepping out of her hug. "Okay what?"

"Put the thing you peed on down." She chuckled as I sat it down beside the sink. "Now, can we talk rationally?"

"I'll try." I nodded still crying.

"You need to tell Rob." She said simply. "He needs to be the one with you through this. Whether you are or aren't."

I sighed. "I know you're right. What if he freaks out though?"

"What if he does?" She gave me a sad smile. "At least you won't have to wonder."

I nodded. "Okay you're right. I'll call him first thing tomorrow and tell him we need to talk."

"Ew don't say that." She laughed. "He'll think he's done something wrong. Just ask him to get lunch or something."

"Fine, I agree. It's probably better to tell him in person anyway." I said.

"Okay. You should get some sleep."

I yawned as if on cue making he laugh. I pulled my best friend into a hug. She was amazing for many things but this moment puts her above all others. She just found out her almost boyfriend was a cheating scumball, and she's here comforting me.

"Are you staying in town?" I asked softly.

"I'd never leave you at a time like this Ry. Of course I'm staying." She hugged me tight then let me go. "Now go try to get some sleep."

"Good night."

***

It was a very sleepless night. I tossed and turned thinking of all the ways Rob could react. Trying not to freak out was impossible. I needed to make a doctors appointment to be sure I was actually carrying a baby. That brought me to a new issue though, I wasn't working so I had zero health insurance. I also have no money to pay for anything more than half of a two for twenty at Applebee's.

"Riley," Monica's voice was quiet right outside my bedroom door. "Are you awake?"

I sighed. "Yeah Mon?"