16

Monica was already at my place when I returned home. She was watching a movie on the Lifetime Network and eating something from a take out box. Her eyes never left the tv when I came into the room. I hated to ruin her happiness.

"Monica I'm glad you're here." I said sitting beside her smelling the Chinese food she was eating wafting through the air.

She smiled over at me holding up he take out in offering. "Want some?"

My stomach suddenly felt all kinds of messed up. I shook my head. "No, but we nee-"

"Hold that thought I gotta see if This Tyler guy ends up with the right girl." She gestured to the tv cutting me off.

I nodded sitting back to take a breath. Truth be told I didn't want to hurt Monica. I never wanted her to feel the way I did when Alex cheated on me. That's what led me to Rob though. Maybe we have to go through a few heartbreaks before we meet the ones we really love.

Wow who thought I'd love my favorite football player for real? Or that he'd actually love me the same way? Monica needs to know about Jimmy though. It's the right thing to do.

"I knew it!" Monica squealed in delight when the guy on tv kissed the girl under the bright lights of the city. "They just belonged together."

"Mon?" I sighed.

"What is it Ry? Did Rob do something? I'll kick his ass!" She sat her food in the coffee table. "I'll call your brothers right now."

"No, God no! It's not Rob." I waved my hands. "We need to talk about Jimmy."

"My Jimmy?"

I nodded. "Yeah,"

"Well? What about him?" She crosses her arms.

"At the benefit last night Rob and I went to the bathroom to, ya know, and Jimmy was in there with some blonde." I watched her get pissed as I spoke. "He said not to tell you of course so I told him if he didn't then I would. I hoped he'd be honest but obviously that's not the case."

"You mean to tell me, that I spent an amazing night having crazy good sex with the back up quarterback of the New England Patriots after he'd banged some bimbo in the bathroom?" She steamed. "I mean it's not like we're dating I suppose but still! That's just such a douche move!"

"I completely agree." I sighed. "I wanted to tell you last night but I don't want to make a scene."

"He convinced me to move my life out here!" She was fuming. "I mean I want to do this for myself and summer is over."

"Monica you can move here to be a new person with me or you can go back home. Just make sure you do what you want to do for yourself. Don't let someone else decide what's best for you." I gave her a sad smile.

She looked murderous. "You'd be mad if it was Rob right?"

"I'd be pissed." I said.

"Well I'd take this as a warning and get out while you can. We should've known better than to get too invested in them. They're in the NFL for Christ sake. What did we think we could do? Chain them down to us? Ha!" She was crying now.

"Monica,"

She cut me off. "Don't try to say Rob's different Riley, because he isn't. He's probably worse."

I felt hurt by her words but deep down I thought maybe she was right. Looking at Rob's history with women was a warning enough. I'd like to pretend he was different with me though. After last night and today I'd like to hope I mean more to him than that.

"Riley?" Monica asked. "What is it? Why are you crying?"

"Rob told me he loved me. Do you think he's lying?" I asked shakily.

"Oh honey I didn't mean to-"

"No but you did." I held my hand up to silence her. "I think I'm going to get a shower and lay down."

"Want some ice cream?" She asked heading to my kitchen.

I shook my head thinking how sick my stomach felt at the smell of her Chinese food. "No thanks. I'm going to get a shower and we can watch a movie or something."

She nodded as I went to the bathroom. In the shower I was still thinking about whether I could trust Rob or not. Football would be starting for real soon and he'd be traveling for games and practicing everyday. Would there be room for me in his life if he even truly did want me there?

My stomach rolled again and without warning I threw up all down the front of my body in the shower. I would like to blame it on Monica's Chinese food, but typically I love Chinese. I showered off and cleaned everything up. Once I was done I wiped the steam from my mirror. Looking at my reflection I suddenly realized something was very wrong.

"Riley are you alright? I thought I heard you gagging?" Monica knocked on the door.

I yanked to door open wrapped only in a towel and stared at her. "Monica how long have you been here?"

"Three weeks." She shrugged. "Are you okay?"

I shook my head and gripped the counter as I counted in my head. "Monica I think I might be pregnant. I'm two weeks late and I'm regular like a fucking clock."

She stared at me wide eyed. Her mouth was even hanging open a little bit. Then she started to speak but stopped herself.

I sighed. "I should get dressed. I need to go to the store."

"What are you going to do?" She asked softly.

"Well I don't know Monica! I'm unemployed, living off my brothers money and what I had saved up! I'm nearly broke and can't even take care of myself let alone a baby! I guess I'll cross that bridge when I get there. I could just be totally wrong. Maybe I'm not pregnant." I was freaking out.

"Will you tell him if you are?" She asked following me.

"Of course I will." I gave her a duh look. "He deserves to know."

"Aren't you on birth control?" She asked.

I shook my head slowly. "I quit taking it about a year ago. Me and Alex were always careful. I guess I never really thought about it when we broke up."

"Didn't you and Rob use protection? For god sake he's a whore." She scoffed.

"Alright Judgmental Jenny! Yes we used a fucking condom but that isn't 100% secure. I'm late and I just threw up on myself in the shower so I think I should probably take a test to at least find out for sure how much I should be freaking out." I snapped at her.

"Of course sorry I was just freaking out." She sat on my bed while I got dressed. "I can't believe this."

"Well fingers crossed I'm wrong." I sighed. "I'm not ready to be a mother."

"You'd be a good one." Monica smiled. "Everything will work out how it's meant to."

I smiled back. "I hope you're right. Now let's hit the store to buy a pregnancy test and find out for sure how screwed I am."