24

The ride back to the hospital was quiet, I wanted to say something to break the tension, but he beat me to it.

"What was it like?"

I turned to him in confusion.

"Being in a coma?" I asked.  He nodded keeping his focus on the road.

"What kind of answer are you expecting?" I laughed.

"I don't know, like you were in a really big room and whatever you wanted would just appear out of thin air.  Maybe you were in a really long dream and you were a super hero with a frog as a side kick"  he chuckled. 

  "I mean, it's different for everyone.  Things that happen in  real life effect what happens in the 'dream'.  Other people can hear what's going on in the real world, like if people talk to them." His expression changed from calm to jittery.

"What?"

"What do you mean what?"  His reaction was entertaining.

"Did you hear anything?" He asked.

"No" I said "Why? Did you talk to me?"

"I did once." He looked nervous, but I didn't look much into it. 

"Did the nurse tell you how long I have to stay?" I asked after a few minutes.  He shook his head no before asking if I knew.

"Yea, she told me that I have to stay for a few weeks but if there aren't any complications then I'm clear to go home." I starred out of the window until I realized what I said.

"I mean, back to your house."  I corrected myself.

He laughed at my now flustered face which made me even more flustered.

"It's fine, you can call it home" he said calmly "that's what it is isn't it?"

How dare you trap me in this shitty truck and ask uncomfortable questions.

"I mean, I guess"

"You guess?" His tone changed.

"What do you mean you guess"

I sighed not wanting to do this right out if a coma, but if I don't speak my mind then I may never get the chance.

"I mean like" I took a deep breath and continued.

"To me, home is where family is.  I don't have a family, as you know my mom and dad are dead.  I consider a home a place where I'm wanted and loved, I haven't felt wanted since I was a little girl.  Calling your house home doesn't feel right to me, but I'll call it that if you want me to." He stayed silent for a while before responding.

"We're around the corner" I heard him say softly before he pulled into the parking lot.

He brought me up to my room and helped me on the bed.  He didn't say anything the entire time and turned to leave, but before he could, I grabbed his sleeve.

"Could you stay?"

He didn't even face me.

"I have class tomorrow"

He tried to pull away but I held on.

"Just for a little bit" I begged.

"I need to study, there's a quiz tomorrow" he tugged one more time, I let go.

I watched him exit the room and head towards the elevator.  He's upset.  I wish I knew how to get him to talk to me, but he's been like this since middle school.  He's so stubborn.