"But Aldo was still operational before you left the mafia. Did you buy it?"

"No, it was always mine. I bought it before we become friends, it was my out, then I met you, but I really didn't want to tell you about it because I was afraid I would be tempted to come back if I kept seeing you—so I decided to stay out of your way which meant you would stay out of mine too. I wanted a new life."

"So when Romano came by for the CCTV footage, you were still determined to cling to your new life; that is why he didn't see you."

" I know how you work. I expected either him or Bruno to come knocking on my door; I made it easy for him because I didn't want us to meet. Anyway, after you carried Sophie out in your car, I never saw her again, and Gabriella was left frantic. I tried consoling her, but then she couldn't stop crying that first night; I was so scared I wanted to rush her to ER." Leo explained as he sat on the chair opposite me.

"Then two days later she went missing, after some deliberation, I figured she was with you—but I needed to be sure, so I went to her place of work, and the front desk receptionist described Romano to a tee as the guy who picked her up." Leo continued.

"It's funny, that first night, Sophie cried uncontrollably too—I actually called a doctor; I guess we shared the same frantic night," I muttered comradely.

"We need a drink; I presume you still prefer a neat whisky?" I asked as I walked to the drink cabinet without waiting for an answer.

Sitting together in silence, each holding a glass of the best whisky in the land, we sat in companionship—drowning our anxiety of the last few minutes with whisky, the only way men do it.

"So...If you knew I wanted Sophie, why the hell did you make the whole of this disclosure so painfully obvious by letting me think you wanted her?" Leo appeared shocked by my question.

"Actually, I wasn't sure you didn't want both"

"Both? Are you kidding me?"

"In my defense, I have never seen anyone in the mafia interested in only one woman, and if they do, it's never for long, which is why I didn't come sooner; I thought you would have let them go by now. Not to mention the thought of you touching her drove me insane."

I did not want to hear any more of this because somehow it was triggering my memories of how I lived my life prior to Sophie; I got up, intending to go home and sleep for a while before 7 pm. I haven't slept in the last 24 hours, and while I could still function while sleep deprived, I was looking forward to falling into bed and getting lost in a few hours of rest beside Sophie.

"Come on, let's get you to your girl," I rose, took my car keys, and headed out to the door.

"Actually, she doesn't know she is my girl...Not yet anyway," he said that like it was a casual comment, the sort that would invite an understanding laugh from another person. I turned, looked at him, expecting him to expound, but he just shrugged and said Gabriella was either in love or crushing on her boss. 

*****************

Sophie and Gabriella were sitting in the living room on opposite sides, silently reading what I assumed were the manuscripts I had heard about. Sophie had earphones on her ears while she read; a reluctant smile twitched at the corner of my mouth as I watched her lying on the seat facing the wall.

Her head on the arm seat and feet on one of the throw pillows, the notebook I bought her rested on her tummy. She made quite a picture; if Leo weren't with me, I would have taken a photo of her.

I cleared my throat, bringing their attention to us.

"Aldo," They called simultaneously.

Gabriella stood shocked, staring at Leo with soft eyes, a hint of a smile gracing her lips; I figured she was attracted to him as well, though Leo was not merely attracted to her, he was in love with her.