Chapter 42

CHAPTER 42

TRIS' POV:

This is the best thing that has ever happened to me! I'm going to marry Tobias! When I came to Dauntless I never even thought a guy would be interested in me, let alone ask me to marry him!

I'm still crying as we climb down the Ferris wheel.

"Tris, you need to stop crying, or the initiates will ask questions." Tobias jokes.

"I know, I know. Let's just hope they didn't see us up there." I say nervously.

He pales, and he frowns. I laugh.

We get back to the initiates, and Hartlyn asks, "What took you guys so long?!?"

"We couldn't see the other team's flag very well..." I lie easily. In the proposal, Tobias said I was honest. Yeah right. (Sarcasm)

"Oh. Where is it?" She asks.

"I saw it on the top of the Hancock building. Where you go zip-lining." I tell the group.

"Let's split up." Says Cole. "How about, Four, Six, Brandon, Viviana, and I go to the Hancock building? Alaska, Kassidi, Hartlyn, Madison, and Brooklyn will guard the flag." He suggests.

Everyone agrees, and Brandon, Viviana, Cole, Tris, and I run to the Hancock building.

About a block away we stop to make a plan.

"Viviana, Six, and I will go up the stairs. Brandon and Cole, you go in the elevator. When the doors open, be prepared to shoot." Tobias whispers to the group.

We nod.

We go into the building carefully, scanning the room for Zeke and Uriah's teammates.

I see something move in the corner.

I shoot at the corner, and hear a groan. Whit steps out, his stomach covered in yellow paint.

Viviana gasps, and shoots at another dark corner. We hear another groan, and Harvey steps out, his shoulder splattered with green paint.

We go to the elevators, and drop Brandon and Cole off.

Viviana, Tobias, and I start climbing the stairs.

"Are you two dating?" Viviana asks out of the blue. Typical Candor. Well... former Candor.

My eyes grow wide, and I look in Tobias' direction. I can't see him because it's dark. Good. Viviana can't see our reaction.

"No." I say smoothly.

"Yeah, we're just...friends." Tobias says.

It hurts to talk like that. Like we aren't in love, that we don't love each other.

"Aww. Too bad. You guys would be cute together." She says.

Tobias and I chuckle nervously.

__________________________________

We reach the top floor with out running into anyone.

"Ok guys. Stay calm. We have to be prepared to shoot when we open the door." Tobias whispers.

We open the door slowly and quietly.
Brandon and Cole are splattered with paint, pretending to be dead along with Ty, and Jed.

We cautiously step onto the roof, and stand against the wall, where it's dark.

Zeke and Uriah come out, waiting for someone to show up. The rest of their team must be out looking for our flag.

I slide along the wall, and Zeke says, "Did you hear something?"