Ch. 50 Peace is Young, Tempting and Promised

(12 and 1/2 years later...)

Corey Jr's P.O.V

*Q/A/N SURPRISE!!!*

As I passed the ball to my best friend and teammate, Liam, I ran down the court so I'd be ready by the basket. I heard my family screaming their support and smiled, daring to draw my eyes away from the ball and instead glance at them.

I saw my dad, the goofiest, awesome, supportive dad in the world--next to my mom. Well, not really, technically my "aunt" of a sort because she was best friends with my mom before she died but when she stepped in...after a while some people just deserve higher titles.

So my dad, Mom/Sab, and then there was also my younger brother, Hunter. Technically, Hunter shouldn't be here since the doctors say they don't want him around situations that could "excite" him but screw cancer. I love my brother.

Lastly were my two older sisters Cowan and Princess. Princess is technically my half sister because of some dad/mom/dead lady drama but it still counts. Those two were as close as can be. If I didn't know better I'd say they were closer than me and--

"Yeah, Cj! Whoo! You can do it, 4 seconds left!" Belle cheered, standing and showing off her #7 jersey.

My jersey number. I and Belle were thee closest any two people could ever be and still have a platonic relationship. She's my little Bumblebee and I'm her Bubba. Even though I pretend to hate the name, just like she pretends to hate hers. But when we're mad at each other those names seem to be the first to calm us down.

The ball was soaring in the air and I caught it quickly--refocusing on the game-- and turned around jumping and throwing the ball into the net. I had stopped moving too early, not close enough to the net for it to be a safe shot.

I jogged backward almost in slow motion next to Liam, his hand patting my back as we watched the ball roll around the rim of the basket once....twice....

It fell in and our side of the crowd erupted in loud shouts. Of course, my little Bumblebee's sounded loudest to me and I turned in the direction of my large family, smiling brightly and Belle ran down the bleachers onto the court.

"Is she allowed to do that?" Liam asked, clearly amused.

Liam has had a crush on Belle since we were like 9. It's kinda sad that she hasn't figured it out yet, but at the same time, if he ever asked her out I'd cut him apart in tiny pieces.

"I don't think she--"

Belle crashed into my arms and I laughed, spinning her around.

"Cares." I finished, chuckling.

"You did great, Bubba! You should've seen the other team's faces. Bet I do better than you, though." She bragged.

I put her down and scoffed.

"Sure, Bumblebee, let's see if you can do anywhere near as good as me in your ditzy little volleyball game. Winner gets to pick the story tonight?" I offered.

Every Friday was story night in our house. When you have a family history as drama packed as ours, it's good to hear it and know the facts. To know whats real and fake in a world of holograms. Or so my mom (again, Aunt Sab if you're not clear on that) always explains it.

"You're on. Come on, the game starts in 10. I'm gonna go change, where's the bathroom again?" She asked.

"Oh, it's--" I started

"I'll take her!" Liam volunteered making me roll my eyes.

Liam smiled at Belle and she smiled back in the way that she does for people she actually considers worth the time. Belle has around three different smiles. One for just her family, one for people she cares about and one for the rest of the world. But no matter which smile, she is always smiling and always radiant.