Ch. 22 Have A Not-So-Happy Birthday

Rowan's P.O.V

Life has been hard around here but that doesn't matter today. TODAY IS COWAN'S BIRTHDAY! It seems like just yesterday I was buying her footie pajamas and stuffed animals.....that was yesterday. Oops. Anyway: COWAN IS 16!!

Me and Corey made her a waffle bouquet thing (courtesy of me watching iCarly last night) and knocked on her door.

"Come in!" She called.

"SURPRISE!" Corey and I yelled.

We stepped into the room and Cowan smiled brightly. Corey put the waffle bouquet down and Cowan took one. Corey smiled at her and gave her a big hug.

"Happy Birthday, baby. Can I even call you that anymore?"

"Oh, don't get all sappy on me, dad. You're probably gonna call me that until I'm retired." Cowan joked.

"Remember when she first came to our house a shy, little orphan girl? You grew up beautifully honey-- inside and out." I cooed.

I stroked her cheek and tried to wipe off some syrup of the side of her lip. She rolled her eyes playfully and held back a smile.

"Mom," Cowan whined.

"Cowan." I mocked back.

"I can't believe you're sixteen. Are you sure you can't just turn five?" Corey teased.

"If I could-- I wouldn't." Cowan giggled.

"See-- 2 minutes into being 16 and she's already snapping at me," Corey whined.

"I didn't snap!" Cowan laughed.

"You guys are insane." I laughed.

We left Cowan to eat her breakfast and relax for a little while we planned out her party tonight. I mean, not really plan it...more like obsess over tiny insignificant details that seem like they matter.

Belle and CJ were eating tangerine slices while watching re-runs of GMW (I don't know why but they LOVE the show, WAY too much.) when we went into the living room and we sat on the couch. Sabrina came in the room with three cups of coffee and around six donuts.

She gave Corey and I each a cup of coffee and a donut. The other four are for her-- pregnancy cravings. Corey accidently dropped his plate and the twins shushed him. He chuckled and glanced at the T.V.

They were watching Girl Meets Texas part 2, which they haven't seen before. Uh-Oh.

"Spoiler Alert: Lucas and Maya aren't gonna kiss-- Disney made us cut it out." He spoiled.

"PAPA!" Belle whined.

CJ stuck out his tongue at Corey and Corey laughed. He picked up the plate which hadn't broken-- thank god-- and put it on the arm of the couch. We ate our donuts and coffee and Sabrina got a text.

"No! No, no, no!" She huffed.

"What's wrong?" Corey asked.

"The band canceled-- stupid 1D," Sab grumbled.

"HARRY!" Belle yelled.

She loves them WAY too much, too.

"Harry's not coming anymore-- something about appendicitis. Quitter." Sab muttered.

I snorted and shrugged.

"Why don't you perform? You're Sabrina Carpenter." I laughed.

"No-- I'm Aunty Sab, and it's super embarrassing to have your godmother/aunt sing at your Sweet 16. Maybe I can get Ariana, I have her brother's number..."