Chapter 75

About two weeks later, Harry was getting ready to leave the studio. He had gone to his writing session early in the morning so that he could meet Niall and go pick up the girls from the hospital and take them home early that afternoon. He was so excited and so relieved. Amanda was still in a cast with her broken arm. Would probably be in that for at least six weeks. Julie was lucky with bones. The only thing broken was a toe on her foot. It barely bothered her. Stitches were out for the wounds both girls had, and the bruises were starting to subside. Julie had a few memory issues, but nothing that really affected her. Sometimes she struggled to get all of her thoughts out, but things were improving. Harry had been worried for the first week after she woke up. Things would come and go, and the worst part was her frustration with it. When she knew what she wanted to say but couldn't, she would get upset. You could tell she would get lost in thought, and she wasn't her typical sassy self a lot. She forced it every now and again for their sake, but she was struggling with the accident. He hoped getting her home would do her some good.

Niall walked into the studio. He came from a writing session of his own. "Hey, Harry, you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I'm all set." He shook everyone's hands he was working with and walked out with Niall. "I have been waiting for this day."

"Yeah, me too. It's going to be so nice to see them at home and out of that hospital." Niall said as he got in the car. Paul was driving them so that they could both be with the girls when they got out. "Guess we're going to be spending a lot of time together in a small apartment since neither girl will stay where the other isn't. At least it isn't because of us this time."

"Yeah," Harry agreed getting in. "Have you gotten Amanda to open up to you about how she's feeling? About what happened before the accident or the accident itself?"

"No. Not really." Niall said. "She doesn't want to talk about the accident. We've briefly discussed the before, but she doesn't really want to do that either."

"Yeah, you know Julie. She's compartmentalized already. I'm waiting for it to all come crashing back together." Harry said leaning back against the seat. "I know it will, but I'm trying to be patient. I can't imagine what they are going through being in the middle of that crash. I'm wondering if it's a good thing her memory issues are causing her to piece it back together slowly or if it would have been better if she just realized the magnitude of it all at once. I'm just glad we get to be here."

A little bit later, they both walked into the room the girls had been staying in. Both were sitting on their beds dressed. It was the first time they'd seen them in anything other than hospital gowns for a while.

"Hey, Princess." Niall said as he walked up to Amanda. "You look like you're ready to go."

"Yeah, I am. It will be good to get home." She stood up and kissed him. "Feels good to get up when I want to."

Harry sat on the bed next to Julie. "You ready to go?" He put his arm around her. He kissed her head when she laid it on his shoulder.

"Yeah, I will be glad to be out of here. Sleep in my own bed." She said quietly.

"Yeah, I can't wait to have you back in bed with me." He said taking her hand and standing up with her.

"You don't have to stay with me all the time." She said picking up her bag.

"You will not push me away. I know you're struggling. We will do it together." He took her bag from her. "I know you, remember." He kissed her head and took her hand back.

"Yeah, I know." She said as she got into the wheelchair to take her out of the hospital. She was struggling. Struggling with the full memory of the accident. About everything that happened in it. The loss and the insanity. She was having nightmares about things other than Johnny. The total memory of the accident came back slowly, and maybe that was a good thing. Then again maybe it wasn't; because every time she remembered something new, it seemed like it was happening all over again. She was struggling with talking about it. She was pulling back from everyone. But everyone knew it. And somehow, they understood. Her parents had just returned home. She was ready to go home. Hopefully things would start to make sense to her again. Hopefully getting away from the hospital would help.