Chapter 55

It was nearing the end of March.  Things were going alright.  The girls were missing their boyfriends.  It was almost time for the tour break though.  They'd been told that the guys would be spending a lot of that in LA.  They couldn't wait.  It had been a busy but long almost two months already.

Julie had just hung up the phone and was staring at it.  It was a very odd phone call.  One she wasn't sure she really understood completely.  She took a deep breath and then got up.  The call had woken her up.  She and Amanda had worked the night before.  It was early afternoon.  She had only gotten a few hours of sleep before the phone woke her.  There was no way she was going to be able to sleep now though.  She quietly walked into Amanda's room.  She sat on the edge of the bed and shook Amanda's shoulder gently.  "Hey, Panda.  I need to talk to you.  Let me know when you're awake enough.  I'm going to make some coffee."

"Wait.  What?"  Amanda looked at the clock.  "Why are you waking me up already?"

"Please, just get up.  I have to talk to you about a phone call I just got, and I need you to be fully functional.  It's important."  Julie got up.  "I will make the coffee strong.  We're going to need it."

"JJ, what the hell?!"  Amanda threw the blanket off her and got up.  She was more than curious now.  And she was fully awake.  She went to the bathroom quickly, pulled her hair up and went out to the kitchen counter.  JJ had already had one cup of coffee made and was starting the second.  They drank their coffee differently so the Keurig single cup was the best invention ever.  "Come on, this has to be serious if you're waking me up just after noon."

"I know, but I'm still confused myself and struggling to process this."  She slid Amanda's mug in front of her and finished her cup.  She sat down next to Amanda and took a sip and then turned and looked at Amanda.  "I got a strange phone call a bit ago.  You know Zayn and I have talked occasionally since we met.  We just seem to understand each other.  Well, he called me."  She looked at Amanda.  She wasn't quite sure what to say.  It was still an odd phone call to her.

"Yeah, I mean I didn't really know how often you talked, but yeah, I knew you talked some."  She wrinkled her brow at her.  "What's going on JJ?  What happened?"

Julie took a breath and looked down at her mug cradled between her hands.  "That little break he was taking? Well, it's not just a break.  He's leaving the band.  Permanently.  He just told the rest of the guys.  The announcement is coming out in the next couple of days."

"He what?!"  Amanda exclaimed shocked.  "He's leaving One Direction.  For good?  What the hell?"

"I don't know. He's been on edge. I knew that, but I never thought he would just leave.  Right after the tour started.  I don't know what he's thinking.  I have no right to question him.  I mean, we're friends, but I don't have a right to tell him not to leave."  Julie said sniffling.

"Well, what did you tell him?"  Amanda asked her.  Her head was spinning.  Why hadn't she gotten a call from Niall if he was told?  They had spoken about Zayn taking a break, but not leaving the band.  Did Niall really know that was happening?

"I didn't say much.  I was too overwhelmed.  I never saw it coming.  Harry told me that Zayn was taking a break.  But he never hinted at him leaving the band.  I don't know.  Zayn said he called because he wanted me, or us to understand and be there for Niall and Harry.  Said he knew it would probably be a hard time for them.  I tried calling Harry, but I'm not sure what they are doing. He didn't answer."

"Yeah, I'm surprised Niall hasn't called me."  She looked over at JJ.  She didn't even have to say anything.

"Yeah, we're going.  You call and get us covered with work. I will figure out where they are headed and book us some plane tickets on the soonest flight out.  Pack lightly."  She pulled out her cell phone.  "Looks like we're headed for Indonesia. Thank god we don't have anything on the emergency credit card."  She looked up at Amanda.