Chapter 13 - The Breakout

Start from the beginning

"Why shouldn’t we fight?" he said. He looked to around Dad’s age with a few dozen grey hairs on his head. "Your kind, come and took my daughters, then you probably did all sorts of things to them. So you tell me why?"

"Look mate, I didn’t even know I had powers, till about an hour ago. I used to be a surface human; I used to go to Sydney secondary college. I have friends and family that live on the surface. The mutants are being provoked, that's why they attack."

"Provoked?" he said with a loud scoff. "They brought this upon themselves, by kidnapping my daughters."

"Well then your daughters must be very special, if she had the interests of the mutants on to her." I said, trying to convince that not all mutants are bad "They only take kids like me, kids with powers.” It wasn’t before too long, some of the other officers around heard what I was saying. They started to think about what they were really doing, if it really was, for the good of the people. The mutants may have powers, and may look like a monster out of a horror movie. However, they just wanted to be accepted, i thought.

More police showed up, and the officer pulled the trigger on the gun. The gun then backfired, and the pin flew back, into the police officer's eye. The new officers had bigger guns, like assault rifles, SMGs, fully automatic shotguns. They all fired at me, at the same time, but having no effect on me whatsoever. “Your bullets have no effect on me.” I said to them, in a soft calm voice. “Why do you persist, on trying to kill me?”

“You're dangerous, a menace to the society,” an officer said, with his shotgun to my chest.

“You know, an hour ago I was just like you,” I said, keeping my cool as the police had all their guns on me. “A normal human being I was, just trying to save my sister from the mutants, till I found out that not all mutants; were as bad as people make them out to be.”

Wasn't too much later, I heard a tank roll in slowly out the front of the station. I turned my back, as I hear Cutter mumbling something under his breath, which I couldn't make out, even with my super hearing. I turned back around as I saw him get to his feet; he stumbled as he raised his gun at me. “I knew you were up to something, the very moment I laid eyes on you,” he said to me, as he fired his gun at me. I watched the bullet, as it appeared to travel through the air in slow motion. The bullet hits my right eye, and falls into my hand. Cutter stands in shock, with his mouth open. “How did you survive that?” he said.

“Your bullets don’t affect me.” I said to him hearing the tank clink in its chamber, I turn to see a canister shell coming towards me. I stand my ground, before catching it and redirecting it towards the tank.

“How is that possible?” he said, in shock. “You're male and human, I thought only female humans had the gene, this is big. Give him a high voltage zap boys that should be enough to knock him out.”

Half a dozen officers took out a pole from their holster, it extended out to a foot and a half long. It was gunmetal grey, and the handle was a rubber sleeve on the thicker end. They all started hitting me; I could feel tiny little pulses of static coming from the batons with every hit they took. I laughed it off, as I pushed my arms out to the side sending the officers flying into the surrounding furniture.

I fly upwards breaking through the floors of the building, and out to the open sky. I could hear Cutter, ordering for a containment unit. I fly north, scanning the city for Dad and Lucy. I find them hiding behind massive destroyed fighter plane, near the centre of Hyde Park. I land down beside Lucy, “Hey, I got away, but we need to keep moving. Cutter has ordered a containment unit. He wants want my head.” I said, startling Lucy.

“Vince, don’t scare me like that,” she said, as she punched my arm as hard as she could. It didn't hurt at all this time.

“I’m sorry, but we need to go,” I insisted, “I’ll take the military you guys run. Lucy if you can go invisible again, I suggest you do so. Dad, I don’t know what side I got these powers from, but either you or Mum gave them to me. Can you listen to me, and trust me?”

  “What is it, Mate, you have my full attention?” he said, giving me his attention, as Lucy tried to go invisible. Military officers firing laser weapons and live ammunition hitting and bouncing of the damaged plane.

“It isn't working Vince!” she said, panicking. “I can't do it.”

“Yes you can, Lucy, I know you can. Just remember how you felt, when you first went invisible.”

“Vince, just so you know. I don’t think it’s me, you got the powers from.” Dad confessed. “I wasn’t born in Sydney, I was born in Cairns I grew up here, remember? I was transferred here, from Amberley R.A.A.F base.”

“But the radiation levels in the air?” I asked. “Wouldn’t that have done something to you?”

“No Vince, if anything it’s slowly killing me, he replied. “Your mother on the other hand was born here but was put up for adoption when she was a baby.