40 I THE DAY BEFORE

Leonardo Sanchez enters Mr. Samuels' cabinet only to find the old man crouched over his computer screen, his eyes concentrated on the words in front of him that reflect in his perfectly clean glasses.

He seems to be so invested in whatever he's doing, that he doesn't realize he has a guest. Leo clears his throat and finally, James' eyes fly up from the screen and meet a pair of grey ones. "Oh, Leonardo, what are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you...if that's okay with you, sir?"

The older man nods and gestures towards the chair on the other side of the desk. However, there's a certain glint in his eyes that Leonardo knows all too well. Suspicion. "What is it that you want to talk about?"

Instead of answering, he also asks, "Why haven't you asked where Jessica is yet?"

It takes a long minute for Mrs. Samuels to reply, "Because Keelian said that she's vacationing with her friends and I-"

"Please don't pretend to believe this obvious lie." Sanchez sighs and lets his body lean against the chair. "I'm aware that you know Keelian better than anyone."

"While that is true, boy," James, contrary to Leonardo props forward and slams shut his computer screen, finally paying attention to the conversation. "I also have a question for you. What does any of this have to do with you?"

"Of course it has to do everything with me, Mr. Samuels. I want to make sure Keelian is as safe as possible."

"And what are you protecting her from, exactly?"

"Let me tell you the entire story and you'll understand what I'm talking about and who I'm protecting her from."

And then Leonardo starts from the beginning: the first time he and Keelian met in the yard, his face trashed by the jocks of the school and her noticing him and helping him. Such a boring, ordinary beginning which later turns out to be the start of a complicated relationship. He tells Mr. Samuels about the night of Keelian's birthday a year before, even goes as far as telling his own story: the way he got rich and the madness that took over his entire life. He puts the accent on Keelian killing herself multiple times and even admits that he's probably the reason why. And then he continues with Jessica and how he got in touch with Troy Lex, the Rat that had been falsifying Keelian's information so she could live as a Pretorian without anyone suspecting anything. He goes into detail of the night they decided to team up to supposedly save Jessica but it only turned into a survival mission in the end. The way Jess had a gun right onto the back of Keelian's skull and how she almost pushed the trigger and nearly killed her own sister.

And then when Leo's finally finished, he feels such relief, that the feeling is nothing like ever before. Sanchez realizes how desperately he had needed to talk about it and get it out of his system. To share with somebody, anybody, who's ready to listen to his story of love, madness and everything in-between.

"Thank you, son, for trusting me," Mrs. Samuels begins, his entire body the epitome of calm and collected, "Thank you for finally giving me a reason to protect my children."

"Children?" Leonardo asks, confused by the plural form.

James raises his eyebrows in return, "Well, of course, I have two daughters and no matter what I have to protect them both."

"But how is it possible, Mr. Samuels? Jessica is a threat to Keelian." Leonardo tries to find it in him to not let his frustration show, "She was ready to kill her own damn sister!" Even though he gives it his best, still, his voice raises slightly.

"And you, Sanchez? Did you have to kill your parents?" James counterattacks.

This leaves the younger man speechless and the old pain starts returning, trying to suffocate him like it always does whenever a memory appears.

"Jessica is no different than you, Leonardo." Mr. Samuels gets up from his place and starts walking around. Then he stops and glares at the younger, "The only difference is that you chose the good in you, while she- I'm not so sure she will."

"I know that she's your daughter, and I understand, but Mr. Samuels, I can't let Jessica hurt Keelian. If it comes down to it, I'll be the one to kill her."

The severity of Leo's words matches with the look in his eyes. James huffs and a sad smile appears on his lips. "You're in love with my daughter, aren't you?"

"Very much, sir." Leonardo also stands up and with a hand to his heart, he says the words that Keelian told him only two days ago. "I love her." After another determined breath, he continues. "And I will definitely protect her no matter what."

I would die if that means she can live to see another day. He doesn't say it out loud, but the thought rings in his head.

Somehow this realization sends chills down his spine. Even though he's sure that he would do it, he still hopes he will have more time to spend with her now that she is finally his again. Even if it's just another day. He just wants to wake up next to her one more time, stroke her dark waves one more time and love her one more time.

"Well, Leonardo, I may not be around for Keely all the time but-." Mr. Samuels scratches the back of his balding head, "I love my daughter very much, too. I want the best for her, and for now," He stops and points a finger right at Leonardo's chest, "I think you're the best for her right now."

A warmth spread all over Sanchez's body at the approval of James Samuels. Something he hadn't let himself imagine even in his wildest dreams.

"Now, let me tell you something: We can't let Elisa make you the successor of our family." The older man states matter-of-factly.

"I'm aware, sir. I have a plan for this one, too, but it's risky and I'm not sure that it will work."

Mr. Samuels sighs and for the first time since Leonardo has known him, a sincere smile graces his face. Sanchez can't help but see the similarities between him and his daughters. "If we don't take any risks in life, we're the losers, aren't we? Where would've you been if you hadn't taken off to find your parents, Leonardo?" He doesn't wait for a reply. "Nowhere."

Sanchez nods knowingly. "You're right, sir."

And then Sanchez explains his plan to the older man and by the time he's done, Mr. Samuels' smile is twice as big as before. "Excellent."

"Excellent." Leonardo replies and just like that it's decided.

The younger man starts walking towards the door, left with the impression that the conversation is over, but he's stopped at the door. He turns around to meet a pair of calculating eyes, the same color as Keelian's. "Yes?"

"There's a serious possibility that Elisa would do something crazy when you ruin her illusion. She's out of her mind but that makes her dangerous."

"I'm aware of this too, Mr. Samuels." He nods but then adds, "What exactly do you mean by 'something crazy'?"

The older man smiles sourly, "Knowing her as well as I do, she might try to play a game of life and death. The gun is her best friend."

Leonardo's breath quivers but he still nods again.

"But don't worry kid, your only obligation is to keep Keelian safe. I will take care of her mother."

Even though he finds it inappropriate, Leonardo still lets out a soft chuckle. The older man doesn't seem to mind: he actually comes to where Sanchez stands right at the entrance, one of his hands already grabbing the handle, and pats him on the head, like he's a small child.

Leonardo freezes in his place at this, as fatherly love is something out of his comfort zone. He doesn't push away James, though, and instead waits for the older to remove his hand on his own. "Be safe." Samuels mumbles.

When the warm hand finally leaves his head, without further-a-do, Sanchez storms out of the cabinet, determination sparkling in his stone grey eyes.