22 I TRAITOR

"Mr. Lawrence? Yes. It's Keelian." I speak up as I enter my room. I'm going out of my mind with worry.

"Yes, yes. How can I help you?" I hear the semi-annoyed voice of the old man and I wish I didn't have to talk to him exactly. I've always gotten the creeps from him and I'm not sure it has anything to do with Leonardo.

But this time it's urgent and the old driver is the only one I can ask for help.

"I need a lift and information." I murmur as I don't want someone else to hear. After all it's only me and Jessica that know our secrets. My father, as nice as he is, would freak out if he finds out that I've lost my lives and am living illegally in Pretorium and my mother is, well, my mother.

"You know that it depends on the information, Miss Samuels. I already got kicked out because of your...gentle approach towards Mr. Sanchez."

If I wasn't on my toes, I wouldn't have let Jim hold me responsible for him not being loyal to that monster. "Okay." I breathe out loudly, "First, come pick me up at ten. We're leaving for Traum."

Mr. Lawrence accepts what he's told with ease. Even something as dangerous as a trip to the Rats. That's why I like to work with him. I can only hope that he doesn't stab me in the back the way he did to Leonardo.

I prepare minimal luggage and take a few clothes for Jessica. I don't let myself cry but as I clutch my sister's favorite pink blouse, my vision blurs and the guilt triples.

I've known since the beginning of it all that I shouldn't have let Jess play a role. She should've been safe and sound where she belongs. It's her broker sister, me, who needed to get herself out of the problems that she created on her own.

I talked to Emily, the maid, this morning when I realized that Jessica wouldn't return and she told me she would buy me some time before my parents realize that both their children aren't home.

I have a week at best.

A week to save my sister who has been saving me for as long as I can remember.

A week to finally take the responsibility for what I've done.

Before I put on my sweater, I take a glance of my body in the mirror and I shudder. The grotesque scars on my wrists and on my stomach leave me breathless for a moment, so I squeeze my eyes shut and pretend that they're not there. There's no time for me to relive all of the lives I myself took away.

There's no use to hurt over something that's done.

Took me a lot to realize this.

With one more look at the mirror, I finally pull the sweater over my head and in seconds I'm gone. I take a taxi to where I usually meet with Mr. Lawrence and sure enough when I arrive in a few minutes, he's already there.

"Long time no see, Miss."

"Yeah." I nod and throw my things in the trunk of the car that is probably as illegal as my residence in Pretorium.

We travel quietly. Nobody asks questions and I just stare outside the window, trying my best to concentrate on anything but the aching of my chest. I try not to think the worst. I would never forgive myself if Jessica loses even one of her lives. I can't let her live in a giant lie just like her sister does.

"Miss Samuels, I know this may not be appropriate to say but...well, sir used to always stare out the window while I drove just like you're doing now." He clears his throat."What I'm trying to say is that you remind me of him."

I'm half disgusted, half thrilled to know that I was just compared to Leonardo. The single mention of this boy makes me shudder in both excitement and fear.