23 I BITTER

"So." Leonardo leans forward, his hair once again covering his eyes and he uses his palm to sweep it back. "Do you know why you're here?"

I snort and pretend to be relaxed, because I know that as long as I keep him busy, he wouldn't touch my sister. "Wasn't that your plan from the beginning?"

Leo hums innocently and backs away, only to pour himself some wine and sit on his comfortable armchair. "It was. But there were some complications that I didn't think of."

When I don't answer anything, he continues with his monologue, taking sips of wine in between. "Weird, right? Leonardo Sanchez who always thinks about every possibility before making a move...Isn't it strange? The influence you have on me? Even after all?"

My wrists are tightly secured with a rope but if only he continues to talk, if only I have more time...

"You can't escape, Keelian. You don't have to try." He sighs dramatically and takes a longer nervous sip of his glass, "Even if you break free from your bounds, there are still bodyguards surrounding the entire property and making sure that you stay inside."

I look away as I curse in my head. He's indeed just like me. I would've done the same.

"Ah, I know. Now you're cursing at yourself for not finding a way to run away and save your sister." His grin looks distorted by the glass when he takes another sip. Why do all rich people have a problem with drinking? The guy's been drinking for ten minutes and half a bottle is already gone. "We're so alike, Jessica used to say."

At the mention of my sister's name, I try to stand up only to be pinned back with the help of my restraints. I forgot that my ankles are bound to the legs of the chair, as well, and am reminded as the sharp pain strikes me. "Don't you dare say her name, you mental case." I hiss and stare at him with squinted eyes.

"Keelian Samuels, feisty as always." He dares to laugh at my obvious menace. Pointing a finger at me with the same hand that he uses to drink, he almost looks like he's talking to a good old friend, and not a person he's trying to kill, "You know, Keel, I used to love this about you."

"You're sick." I spit out as a response to his romantic statement.

"Yes, love." He stands up on wobbly feet. The bottle is almost empty. Gripping at the handles of the chair I'm bound to, he's so close to me that I can smell how drunk he is. "Swear at me, hate me. It all brings me back to when you were a bitch-" He chuckles. "Oh, wait. You still are. Sorry, forgot." He taps his head with a finger when he says the last word.

As I watch his drunk brain leak the last of his sanity, I can't help but be horrified. Not at him for being this way, but at my own self for making him like this.

Those stormy eyes, that suddenly start to water make my heart ache and I remember the day I destroyed him.

It's a Sunday. But not any Sunday, it's the day I've decided to break up with Leonardo. I don't want to have anything to do with him, or with my sister for the matter. As I get dressed and line my dark eyes with the black pencil I always wear, Jessica starts pounding on my door. I ignore it. I have no time for her to deal with now. She hurt me, that's for sure, but she's still a Samuels. Things will be way harder to deal with when it comes to her. A dark part of me is glad that I'm my mother's favorite daughter.

"Keelian! Keelian open the door! I can explain! It's not my fault, he kissed me!" Jess screams from the other side of the door and I'm mentally thankful that my parents are nowhere to be seen today.

I jerk the door open as Jessica is about to start kicking it and she stares at me with still disheveled hair and dark circles under her eyes. She hasn't slept at all.