30 I CAR RIDE

I find myself squished between Leonardo and Mr

I find myself squished between Leonardo and Mr. Lawrence when we enter the car's backseat.

"It's so strange to sit here and not in the driver's place." The old man murmurs as he puts the safety belt on.

Me and Sanchez stare at each other and Jim snaps his fingers at us. "Safety first, kids. Chop chop."

I sigh but follow his order, strapping myself to the seat. Leo whispers something under his breath but follows the instruction, as well.

The two men he picked are both as trust-worthy as it can get. One of them is his private bodyguard that always accompanies his whenever he meets with sketchy clients: Kent Andrews. The other one is Clem Andrews, so in other words the bodyguard's  younger brother. They both aren't really the talkative type but the younger one is especially quiet. He hasn't said anything since the beginning of our journey. He just sits there, staring straight ahead as if he's made out of stone. I can't even follow his chest as he breathes. Is he actually a human?

In this car full of questionable people, I decide to talk to the one who intimidates me the most. Leonardo. "Um-" I start and Sanchez instantly turns his grey gaze towards me. He's propped his arm on the window just like I did on the way to his house. I can see now what Mr. Lawrence meant when he said that I remind him of Leonardo. "That might sound kind of stupid, but is that guy alive?"

A thin smile suddenly appears on Leo's lips. He's amused by my question and at the sight of it, I feel equal parts embarrassed and charmed. My entire face feels like it's turning as red as a tomato.

"You're talking about Clem?" He asks me, without even bothering to turn down his voice. I gesture towards the boy on the front seat with wide eyes, but Sanchez doesn't seem to be bothered. Of course he isn't, he wouldn't miss a chance to make a fool out of me in front of everyone else. I cross my arms with a slight difficulty, both of my elbows ramming at Jim and Leo's sides. Mr. Lawrence completely ignores it but the latter stares at me annoyed. Looking right back at him, I am internally glad that I'm sitting because if I wasn't, my knees would've probably went weak right about now.

After a few more minutes of awkward exchange between me and Sanchez, he finally takes in a deep breath and tries his best to turn in the cramped space so he can have his lips next to my ear. "About Clem, he's not being quiet. He's actually mute." He whimpers and I cover my mouth in embarrassment even though the question wouldn't just come back as if it was never asked in the first place.

"Don't worry, he doesn't mind." I hear a voice from the front of the car and realize that it's the brother, Kent, talking to me. Our gazes meet in the rearview mirror and I blink a few times, still trying to chase away the pink flush from my cheeks. "Don't worry about it, miss Samuels."

"Just call me Keely." I shoot back before I give it a second thought and realize far too late how inappropriate it must've sounded. These guys had spend time training to serve with respect the people who have money and power, so the stunned expression that plants firmly on the bodyguard face when he hears my request is something I should've seen coming. "It's just, I wouldn't mind it if you do."