7 I THE DISAPPOINTMENT

Elisa Samuels is usually misunderstood. She is viewed as vicious and emotionless but that's untrue. She definitely has feelings but the problem with them is that they are frequently not good ones. She hates the world and the way this society is constructed. She doesn't like the fact that other people who do nothing about their lives have the same amount of money as her, who is a recognized hard worker; who would stab a man to get what she wants, in fact, who has stabbed a man to get what she needs.

And as much as it pains her to say it, her daughters, Keelian and Jessica are simply a disgrace. She can't remember how many times she has wanted to just kill them both but she would rethink as they are the only way for this side of the family to be continued on. Her pride doesn't let her be seen as incapable of protecting what she worked so hard for.

Her and James have always wanted to be blessed with a son but God either hates them or doesn't exist because they only got two useless daughters. She doesn't care which statement out of the two is correct because in the end, she still didn't get what she wanted.

And Elisa Samuels always gets what she wants.

So she adopted a son. His name was Jean-Jacques and he passed away at the age of ten. He wasted all of his nine lives struck by various sicknesses, all of them worse than the previous. The young boy obviously wasn't meant to live and make this woman's dream come true.

Although untrue, the adoption center thought Elisa poisoned the poor child so they never gave her a chance to take a kid home again.

And then she realized that she had to start treating the useless daughters better if she wanted to manipulate them.

They needed to love her so they would do what she told them to.

But even after all, the efforts she put into the two of them, the love, or the simulation of one, which she gave them didn't make them truly love her back. It didn't make them oblige.

She has always known that Jessica is a lost case. The younger is not smart, and she's way too emotional, too needy and fragile to the world, while her sister is flawed, definitely, but is nowhere near as soft as the latter. There is a fighter somewhere in this girl and Elisa's mission has always been to find that fighter and push away the weak girl that she pretends to be.

Keelian may not realize that but she's not any different than Elisa.

And while the woman knows that her daughter hates that fact, she doesn't care as long as it's true. And it is.

She trained the girl's mind for so long but then when she had to be gone for one single year, she returns and is met by the same old disappointment. By the Keelian who can't even hurt a fly, who can't even deal with herself and her neverending mental issues.

Elisa won't let this go on.

She can't afford to lose this battle between the girl's sanity and her orders.

Why can't her daughters be like all the other Samuels? Follow the rule to not ask questions and to just accept what they get silently? Why can't they just...break under the spell of their mother's mind.

Elisa knows for a fact that being a wholesome person doesn't take you anywhere in a society like this and she needs to at least teach one of her offsprings the basic rules of survival.

She thought all this time that love was the way to go, but now she sees that it takes only a year for love's power to decrease and slowly disappear, leaving behind another mental case.

But no, deep down her instincts knew all along: love is nothing compared to fear and she has always been way better at striking the second one.

"Keely, darling, what are you doing here?" It only takes her a second to realize that Keelian is shaking, gripping hard at the stone of the kitchen aisle. Good.

"Keely, look at me."

Just as Elisa expects, there is no response.

"Keelian, look at your mother."

Once again, she can only hear the quiet breaths that her daughter takes. If only Elisa could live forever, she would've stopped the girl from breathing long before. Even now, being completely aware of the fact that her hair is starting to turn grey, and her skin is getting wrinklier by the day, her hands still itch to take the breath away from Keelian once and for all.

She shouldn't, yet she slides her hand into her pocket where she usually hides her cold metal black gun and clicks the safety catch off, making the statement that is hanging in the air obvious for her daughter, using just this one single sound.

But the girl doesn't move. She stays where she is as the pain and anger build up inside Elisa and suddenly start to take over. The disappointment of only having two useless daughters, the sadness when she finally found herself a son only to lose him after a few months and lastly the discouragement she felt after working so hard on building a bond between her and her children only to be rewarded with more uselessness.

She remembers clearly now, as she's pointing the gun at her daughter's head, her hands shaking under the intoxication she suddenly finds herself.

"You're a disgrace!" The mother shouts at her daughter and throws an expensive blue vase originally placed on her left side on the ground. The sound of shattering glass masks the low growl that leaves Elisa's lips without her permission. "A disgrace to this family and to this world!" The eleven-year-old girl has tears running down her cheeks, but she doesn't dare to move. The horror in her eyes is evident as Elisa grabs her sundress and picks her up from the ground, her bony hands turning white not long after and her red shot eyes so wide that they're about to pop out of their sockets. "Why were you born? Why you and not someone worthy of being a Samuels."

The words leave her mouth effortlessly and she doesn't care when she sees the little girl's heart break into a thousand pieces just like the vase did only moments ago.

And then, as if nothing happened, she releases her daughter and goes to the intricate shelves that contain her favorite rum, grabs the first bottle she finds and chugs out of the container itself an unhealthy amount. An amount that feels like it should be almost lethal for a human, though at that moment the girl can't help but think that Elisa is no human. She is a monster. The devil in her nightmares.

And she still is.

"Keelian, I'll shoot"

And she does as she says.