34 I INSANITY

We arrive in Pretorium at around eight in the morning. The first thing we see are the fields and some houses and that lot which used to be Leonardo's home. Now the barn is no longer there and a beautiful modern house with a garden and a pool had replaced it. I see the sour expression on Leo's face but he doesn't say anything about it.

Even if you're over your past, it still haunts you your entire life. You can pretend it never happened, but it won't make it any less real.

"You know where I live, right?" I ask and look outside my window, the relief of seeing the familiar town makes me feel a bit better.

"Of course I do." He replies as if I asked the most ridiculous question ever.

"Well I guess you would, I mean when you were-" I stutter, trying to make the situation less awkward but only making it worse. Exactly my specialty.

He sighs, "No, Keelian, it's not because I used to follow you around. Everybody knows where the Samuels' mansion is." He eyes me for a second but embarassed, I stare outside again, this time trying my hardest not to look at him.

In about twenty minutes we stop in front of the gates of my home. The guards don't recognize the car and look at each other questionably so I roll down my window and peek outside at them. The moment they realize who I am, they jump to their feet and run to open. Afterwards the bulkier of the two murmurs something in the two-way radio, and exchanges a nod with his co-worker.

When Leonardo drives through, they bow and almost hit their heads on their knees. Poor guys. I would've been scared, too, if I worked for someone like my mother.

By the time we stop at the steps to the front door, the entire staff is already there to meet me. I see Emily and Kelsi in the bunch and a grin creeps on my face. Can't deny that I am fond on those two.

When I open my door, everyone smiles at me and greets me. I wave back. I hear Leonardo get out of the driver's seat and the faces of practically the entire team in front of me change. For a moment I am scared that they'll recognize him and start running around or be horrified, but as I thought, all of those people have nothing to do with the criminal world Sanchez lives in.

The female employees proceed to giggle at the sight of the handsome man and I can practically see them get the heart eyes. From teenagers to older ladies and gentlemen, everybody is astonished by Leo's dark-haired, grey-eyed charm. I chuckle because that's how I reacted to him when I met him for the first time, as well. I take a look at him now, too, not being able to stop myself...

"How much longer are you planning on staring?" Leonardo mumbles, still playing with the lighter in his hands.

He isn't a smoker, yet he has a fascination for fire and the danger that it represents. His constant search for a thrill is a hunger I can't help him fulfill, but that exact autonomy makes him all the more interesting, all the more craved.

"Does it bother you?" I strike back, only to receive a snort. With one more flick, the baby flame appears again from the top of the lighter and its reflection dances in Leo's irises.

"It did but I'm used to it by now."

"Are you saying I'm always staring at you?" I defend, pulling my legs closer to my body. "It isn't my fault that you're so handsome."

A pout, accompanied by a heavy blush make Leonardo chuckle, and his fingers glide over my hair, combing through the locks lovingly. Maybe I would've found it romantic if my hair wasn't as tangled. Still, I don't make him stop and he pushes his way through, exposing my neck and drawing circles on my shoulders, I shudder.