25 I INTOXICATED LUCK

"We have to create a plan first." Leonardo Sanchez says and looks back and forth between Mr. Lawrence and Keelian Samuels. He can't help but think of how comical this trio is.

All of those liars and betrayers in the same team. He can only hope that this will make them stick together. For this mission to be successful, he need Keelian to stay by his side at all times and eventually believe him.

I'll break your heart just like you did mine, Leonardo thinks smugly. You should've trusted me when I was not a bastard.

"So, how long will that take? A day?" Keelian cocks her head to the side and the dark waves on her shoulders fall down to reveal her delicate collarbones. Sanchez looks away before she realizes that he's staring at her.

"It might take more than a day but we should move fast. We don't know when the Rats will make their move." Mr. Lawrence murmurs and with a quick glance at the girl, he adds. "Miss."

"That's true." She nods and her forehead wrinkles as she concentrates at the job at hand. "We should keep the entourage at minimum. We can't make it too obvious or they'll know we're coming."

"But Keely, of course they already know you'll go. It's only natural for you to want to save your sister." Leo replies with a soft gaze. Her eyes widen a bit at the sudden gentleness. Good, be conflicted.

"I'm not only talking about my sister..." She takes a deep breath, preparing herself to spill whatever she obviously wanted to keep a secret from the other two. "My ID is also where Jess is. That guy she was working with to make sure I'm undetectable always told her to have my ID or else he wouldn't be able to do his part of the deal. "

Sanchez scrunches his eyebrows. Even to him, the one who schemed it all, this seems quite sketchy. "You do realize how strange this sounds, right? Why would he need it, when he can just type in your name and be done?"

"I guess there's a special number or-" She protests but by the way she plays with her fingers, Leonardo knows that she's also thinking the same thing. How cute of her to try and reassure herself.

"I've seen how the system works, Keelian. It's quite simple to search up a person and you need no additional information other than their name." He shrugs his shoulders. Your real name, he adds only in his head.

"So this means that this guy was probably planning to do this since the beginning." She breathes out, going to the false realizations that Leonardo wanted her to.

"I'm sorry, miss." Mr. Lawrence replies and Sanchez is bemused by how convincing the man sounds. Even though the old guy tricked Leonardo as well, he can't help but feel impressed with the acting skills.

"I propose that we only take two other people and leave by tomorrow night. It's way safer for us to do it that way." Sanchez nods at his own words and the other two seem to be convinced. Him and Jim Lawrence exchange quick glances as a silent festivity of the success.

"Alright." Keelian looks at both men, completely unaware of the trap that she put herself into. She isn't stupid, Leonardo knows, but she has always been easy to convince with the right...tricks. She never learned not to trust.

Sanchez makes a gesture to the closest guard and when the bulky man comes closer, he instructs him to show Samuels her room. He made sure to have her strategically placed in-between his and Mr. Lawrence's bedrooms so she has no escape route if things don't go quite according to plan.

When the man grabs her by the elbow, she pushes him away spitefully. That never dying fire in her eyes always sure to make Leonardo's heart warm up subconsciously.

Even after all she'd done to him, even after all the ways she managed to break him, he still finds the appeal that this girl has to offer and he probably will forever. Long after he's done with her.

He has a surprise tonight so when she's taken out of the room, followed by Mr. Lawrence in case she takes the wrong, or in this case, the right idea, Leonardo sits back on his comfortable chair and patiently waits for the clock to strike midnight.

When it finally does, after a quick nap and a boring read, he gets his phone out of his pocket and opens up his inbox. Scrolling down through ordinary documents and other business-related messages and e-mails, he finally finds what he was searching for.

With a smile that spreads slowly but steadily on his pale face, he types in something he knows would help with his mission tremendously in the sense that it will keep Keelian off guard and confuse her further to the point of no return. By the time she figures everything out, she'll be so deeply invested in Leonardo's plan that every move she makes would be against her.

See you soon, my dearest sister. –J.J

He sends the message but the alcohol intoxication finally shows its dark side and he realizes far too late that he forgot to hide his number and location. "Shit!" He whispers and jumps from his chair. His brain is suddenly completely aware of the mess that he just put himself into. "Leonardo Sanchez, you are such a stupid ass." Without thinking any further, he sneaks out of the living area and walks silently towards the bedroom wing.

For once in his life all he can rely on is pure luck. If the girl inside the room is awake, she has definitely already read this message and the truth of who is pretending to be her dead brother would surface way sooner than it should. But if she's asleep, there's this possibility of him sneaking in and erase his thoughtless actions.

He crosses his fingers and pushes the door open. Good thing his new house is nothing like the barn, or at this point Keelian would've jumped from her bed at the screeching that would happen when Leonardo enters.

And then he almost cries tears of joy at the sight of Samuels' relaxed body on her mattress. She's asleep.

He thanks whoever is out there for this little boost of luck and slides inside the room. He can see that her phone is neatly tucked in her hands, right next to her head and that's when he realizes how impossible it would be to retrieve it without her noticing.

When he gets closer to her bed, he freezes. This time it's not her beauty that's unsettling about her; while she does look wonderful under the soft moon light, there's a single streak of blood coming out of her right nostril.

What did she do?

Suddenly, his body goes cold and for a moment he believes the unbelievable.

Can she...be dead?

But then Keelian moves to her side and breathes out, making Leonardo's heart that had just dropped in his feet returns to its original place.

He smiles relieved and shakes his head.

How are you so afraid of losing her, yet your life mission is to kill her? He asks himself but just as he thought, he receives no answer. Just another mystery nobody can solve but him.

Finally concentrating on what he's actually in the room for, he puts a hand under his chin while he thinks.

If he grabs it and tries to run, she'll obviously freak out, so that's a no-go.

If he tries to gently scoop it out of her hands and then sneak out, he might succeed but the chances are low. He knows how much of a light sleeper she is. He's still confused as to how the vibration or the sound of getting a message didn't wake her up.

She must've turned her phone off. But why?

It takes seconds for him to realize and a smirk creeps on his face. Smart girl. It's because she's scared of getting another message from Jean-Jacques, or in other words, from Leonardo.

So, with minimal options left, he comes up with something that might be embarrassing but distracting enough for him to grab the phone and to actually make it out without sparking any suspicions of his plan.

You think I'm crazy, Keelian, he speaks in his mind and his smile grows so large that it hurts his cheeks, let me show you what crazy really is.

And with that he leans in, grabs her face between his hands and kisses her.