5 I ELISA SAMUELS

When I park my car in the driveway of our family mansion, I sprint towards my sister's room.

Please be here, please be here, please be here.

I almost break into her bedroom only to find a startled Kelsi, who was just finishing the arrangement of Jessica's pillows on her king sized bed.

"Jesus!" She clutches at her apron and sighs with relief when she realizes that it's just me. "Miss Keely, you startled me."

"Sorry, Kelsi, I was just looking for Jess. Do you have any idea where she went?"

"Sorry, honey, I have no clue. She hasn't come back from school yet."

And that's when realization sinks in. Crap, I completely forgot about our little arrangement.

"Oh, thanks Kels. I got it."

After the events from today's afternoon, I completely blanked out on everything that surrounds me. It's just me and what seem to have become my best friends: fear, anger, anxiety.

I know I needn't worry about Jessica because up until now, she has always done everything properly and came back home safe and sound by the end of the day.

It's still seven past five. It's nowhere near the end of the day.

I try to make myself comfortable on the couch in the living room, but the giant moose head on the wall makes me feel unsettled just as always. I like animals, but not as a decoration.

My parents, on the other hand, hate any animal if it's alive— when I was six I wanted a puppy so bad that they got me one but couldn't cope with it pooping everywhere in the house and eating the expensive embroidered bed covers so they sold it away after just three days of having it. Needless to say, I didn't get any other pet.

I leave the living room and roam the house. I hate big houses; always have. I wish I could simply feel cozy in a small space where everything belongs to me and everything has a meaning. Not this vast area full of dust and old things that our proud ancestors left for us. That might've been a symbol of richness before but is simply a pain in the ass to take care of now.

It somehow scares me to know that I'm one small human in this big room. Honestly, I would've preferred to live in the small chamber-like spaces that the servants occupy. They are actually quite cute and have everything you'd need: nothing more, nothing less. Exactly enough to make you satisfied to your last day.

You see, in our world you are not immortal. You still live up to eighty only if you're lucky. The thing is that people want to be happy until they die and by losing a life, they virtually give up the possibilities of luxury: big houses, expensive cars, vacations and, of course, bathing in precious stones every now and then.  Something my ex-friends have done, and admitting with shame, I have, too.

No, Keelian Samuels, the Pretorian has done it.

Keely, the Rat wouldn't.

"Miss Keely, your mother has arrived." One of our maids appears soundlessly next to me and as always my heart skips a beat when she speaks up and makes herself noticed. I hate surprises.

"Thanks..." I stare at the girl, a bit older than me, Kartian at best, and shamefully realize that I don't even know her name.

"It's Emily." She says , mildly upset, and looks away. "...miss."

"Emily." I repeat her name and let it roll off my tongue. It's a nice name. Sounds good to me. Simple but pretty. "Thanks, Emily."

She looks at me with an unreadable expression, her green eyes shift colors under the sunlight that's coming from the window behind me. She bows and leaves, and the room is quiet again. It's as if she was not even there mere seconds ago.

I create a little task in my mind to learn the name of each person who works for me here.

If anything, it would be a distraction to keep my mind off of the fact that I'm probably getting involved in another one of Leonardo's plans.

Sometimes I just want him to end it all forever.

Other times I wish to kill him.

And then there are those times when I dream to kiss him, but that's when I'm most scared of myself.

That boy is the epitome of danger and I have no intentions of messing with him ever again.

I wish he would leave me alone once and for all but he keeps on coming back, each time stronger and deadlier. Each time making it harder for me to forgive myself for what I did.

Because he wasn't always the boy he is now. He wasn't always a freak with no soul.

He used to be gentle and careful, his grey eyes were curious not heartless. His words were also rare, but precious.

He loved me.

And I'm afraid that he still does.

"Keelian Samuels, I thought I sent someone to let you know I'm home." My mother's voice echoes in the big room. I silently sigh, closing my eyes in pure exasperation but I turn around anyway. Elisa Samuels isn't a person I can treat badly mindlessly, as she's just like a snake, always ready to attack and sink her venomous teeth into your skin.

Her stoic figure makes me flinch and her stare pierces right through me, messing with my insides. My stomach growls upset, but it has nothing to do with my previous meal.

"Hello, mother. It's nice to see you after so long."