35 I THE SUCCESSOR

Both my mother's and father's gazes are stuck onto Leonardo but for completely different reasons. The look that Elisa gives him is adoring while that of James is judging. And I just stand in between, feeling the sweat making its way down my spine. I've never thought so many strange and unexpected things would occur in a single day. The atmosphere in the room is so thick, that I feel like the oxygen is slowly being sucked out, leaving us in a vacuum of thoughts and words that are contained behind gritted teeth.

"So Jean, where have you been all this time?" My mom asks and takes a bite of her meal. A rare steak. For breakfast. "I searched for you all over the place and even with all of my connections, I couldn't tell where you were." She sighs, piercing the hardly cooked meat with her sharp knife, a disgusting sound filling my ears and making me want to gag. "I was so confused, Jean. You should've been more thoughtful towards your mom."

"I was...preparing." Leonardo replies and I spot a track of sweat down his neck, as well. I try to hide my smirk. Now he knows the effect my mother has on others.

"For?" My father interrupts and I give him a look. James shrugs his shoulders, seemingly innocent, and takes a bite out of his own steak that, thankfully, is nowhere are undercooked as my mother's. Still, I can't believe how childish he's being.

"Um...reappearing?" Sanchez clears his throat to mask the question in his voice. I almost feel sympathetic for him. He's being cooked on slow fire right now. And again, no pun intended.

My mother, deep in thoughts, loses track of the conversation and with a dismissing gesture, changes the topic. I almost feel the relief wash over Leonardo's body. "I think it's about time for you to officially return in this family." She smiles and snaps her fingers. A servant appears from one of the corners of the room and places a paper in Elisa's hand. "I've been keeping this document for when you come back."

She slides the envelope on the table towards Leo. He grabs it and slowly but surely takes out the content inside and his eyes slightly widen. "A successor paper." He looks at my mother and she smiles at him the way she used to at Jean-Jacques. That grin has always been reserved for this boy only.

"Exactly. I've always known that you should be the one to inherit our company and stocks." She eyes me, "Isn't that right, Keelian?"

What is going on?

I gulp the lump in my throat and get up from the table. "Excuse me, please."

"Sit back down, now, Keelian Samuels." I hear my mother order and I freeze in my place. My hands form into fists but I turn around and sit back down before the storm begins. "Good girl."

"Thank you for the opportunity, mother. I'll gladly accept it." Leonardo finally says and diverts Elisa's attention back on him. Her features soften in seconds.

"I knew you would, my child. Thank you for making mom happy."

Though he looks happy and calm, when our gazes meet I can see that he's absolutely terrified and also...apologetic to me. I wave it off, as I've never wanted to be my family's successor to begin with. Truth to be told, the mere thought of this happening makes me sick both physically and mentally. I have no intentions of becoming my mother.

"Oh, where is Jessica?" The person in question finally asks, her blue eyes unfocused but harsh, and I open my mouth to answer only to close it when Leo speaks up first.

"She's on a trip with her friends." He says confidently and while my mother nods in agreement, my father narrows his eyes. He knows my sister and he's aware that she never leaves Pretorium, even with the girls.

Well, other than the times she was going for the renewal of my information. But it's only me and Jessica who know about this. And Leonardo.

Basically everyone but my parents and their surroundings.

"That girl never changes. Such an air-head." Elisa clicks her tongue in a gesture of disapproval and takes a sip of wine. Oh no. Not alcohol again.

"She's just enjoying her youth, you shouldn't be so harsh on her, mother." Leo protests and gulps quickly from his water. Good, at least he's not drinking. If both of them get drunk it would be a disaster waiting to happen.

"Please call me mom, Jean. I feel strange being called so formally." She replies, Jessica far from her line of thoughts at this point.

I can't help a choke when the reality hits me once again. Me and Jessica are nothing but a formality to her: she would slap us if the term 'mom' ever slipped from our mouths.

If anything, in her mind, we're simply a mistake.

"You have two days to sign the paper, Jean. Don't forget we have to start the process as soon as possible." Elisa Samuels concludes before she stands up to leave. My poor father follows but not before squeezing Leonardo's shoulder warningly on his way out.

Once again it's only me and him. We stare at each other and even though we don't say a word, the question is flying in the air between us like a lost bird.

What have we gotten ourselves into?