6 I MOTHERLY LOVE

We sit right back in the living room. The moose head is once again staring at me angrily. Even though this space is already creepy enough, the dining room is worse. It looks like a place where Dracula himself would eat his dinner...You could say my parents have an interesting taste in about everything that surrounds them.

"How have you been, Keelian? Is school going okay for you and your sister? I would guess you're both excellent students." She smiles that tight smile of hers and I almost gag. Fakery at its purest form. My mother, Elisa Samuels, is just a stone figure that can talk. That's how I and Jess have been describing her ever since we were little kids. In this family the mother is the boss— she gets the big money, even though my father is far from useless, either.

Our business is something only my parents and other snobby relatives are aware of. Even me and my sister, as well as all of my thirty-something cousins have no idea what it is about. The Samuels have one saying that has been passed from generation to generation for quite a while now: Don't ask questions, take what you're given.

"Keelian, honey, are you listening to me?" My mother's sharp voice cuts off my train of thoughts abruptly.

"Y-yes, mother. Of course." I tug at my still blood stained sweater to hide my trembling hands. How much worse can today be?

Unfortunately by playing with the fluffy material, my mom's attention gets caught by it and the obvious blotches of blood on the ends. The only reaction I get from her is the slight widening of her eyes but it passes before I'm even sure that it was there in the first place.

"Throw that thing away, I'll buy you a new one. Versace or Armani?"

And here I thought my mother would be actually scared for me when she sees the blood. I roll my eyes and my breath puffs out, seemingly resembling laughter. I can't help but feel offended as I get up and storm off straight into the kitchen after mumbling a quick excuse. My vision is once again blurred by tears and I ask myself how can I still be disappointed with Elisa Samuels.

She has always been merciless and deprived of any human emotion just like any other Pretorian...only way worse. Her blue eyes and straight black hair may be beautiful and graceful but they are cold as stone and stained with the blood of her enemies. I never want to be another Elisa. I prefer to be known as a Rat than as a ruthless Samuels.

"Keely, darling, what are you doing here all alone?" I hear the stickily sweet voice of Elisa as she also gets up from her place in the living room and enters the black and white luxurious kitchen that is unused most of the time, as the actual staff has its own space where they prepare our meals. It's just another room that is purposeless and empty, dull and characterless in this so-called home.

I don't turn around, even though I'm aware of my mother's presence behind my back. I grip at the end of the kitchen island, as if it's my lifebelt. It feels more like an attempt to stop my sanity from swirling down a dark road I'm already familiar with.

"Keely, look at me."

Silence.

"Keelian, look at your mother."

Suddenly short of breath, it seems like time freezes in its tracks. The room temperature drops below zero. I guess she's done sweet talking me. That's when you can see the real Elisa. The spirit in which every Samuels is taught.

But I have never expected her to go this far. Not even her.

"Keelian, I'll shoot."