38 I JEALOUSY

The moment I step foot inside the Grande salle, all eyes stop on me. In this room, the most powerful families in Prehalia are all assembled for a sneak peek at what the Samuels have to offer with their next generation.

The looks of pity that I receive are far from what I want to see, but I remind myself once again who I am and with a straight figure, I walk proudly deeper inside the room.

"Here you are." I hear my father's voice from somewhere on my left. He grabs my wrist and I try to keep my composure even though my blood starts running cold in my veins. I have no time for the scars on my heart today. "Why did you take so long?" He breaks through the crowd and finds a safe spot to talk privately.

"Sorry, Dad. I couldn't figure out this...thing." I point towards the giant gown that hugs my body on the top and flares out on the bottom. As a girl who's always loved her comfy jeans and sweaters, this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

He sigh, shaking his head. I take this opportunity to actually take a closer look at him. From behind his big frames, his eyes look watery and bloodshot and the purple underneath speaks for the obvious lack of sleep. What has my dad been doing all those nights instead of cozying up in his favorite bed? "Never mind that. We need to do something about your mother. She's completely lost it, Keelian. I wish I could've-" He scratches his stubble and exhales sharply, glancing at the crowd that continues to flow inside the hall. "I wish I could've prevented this event from happening. I didn't think she'd go this far to even invite the Ruthfords, the Hernandes and so on."

"This is nothing for her. She can do everything as long as she wants it bad enough." I murmur and my dad raises an eyebrow in confusion.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"She shot me, dad."

The blood instantly drains from his face and he grabs my shoulders.

"But she missed. She didn't hit me." I whisper and pat James' shoulders, too. He lets go of me, relieved and even allows himself to smile for a second.

"As long as you're alright, I have no complaints." He finishes off and gives me one of his warm looks. I can't help the little grin that appears on my own lips.

Even in this mess that I find myself in, even though my entire family is falling into pieces, as long as I have my father and Leonardo, I'll always have a reason to live happily or at least to try doing so.

"Now Keely, stop lying." He starts again and my head shoots towards him, my brows scrunching up in confusion. "Where is your sister and what is she up to?"

I start fiddling with my fingers and thinking of a way to reveal the truth in front of my father.

"Keelian, honey?" He pats my shoulder again and I look up at him, my eyes full of sadness and despair. I wanted to escape this room before I have to answer this for him. I have no strength in me to say that my own sister turned against me. "Listen up. I've always known there's something wrong with Jessica."

And just like that, I'm thrown off again, cocking my head to the side.

He sighs, "As harsh as this might sound, I fully believe it. I am her parent after all. She's always tried to look like you, act like you, be you. To the point of losing her own identity, even. And then when you both became teenagers, she always felt like she was left behind. There were those times that she would come to my office and her eyes would be sad and she would jump in my arms without a warning and cry her heart out. Keelian, she said on multiple occasions that she wants to be reborn as you. All of the admiration she had for you when you were young, that turned into self-hate and desperation as the time progressed...She's always felt like she's living in the shadow of her older sister. I wouldn't know the feeling because I am also the oldest child in my family, but I could sense that something in her broke after she realized that she'll never be able to become someone like you."