15 I SCARS

Today is the day that Leonardo Sanchez will meet Keelian again. As Mr. Lawrence is driving the car towards Pretorium, he can't help but think about the girl and the nervous energy in his body that appears with the endless thoughts threatens to drive him crazy.

He still can't quite understand his feelings  towards the teen, but knowing her, that is expected. Keely is a mistery, somebody who's different every day. She's hot and she's cold. She's good, and she's bad. She's a typical Samuels and then, suddenly, she's not.

With a long frustrated sigh he puts on his glasses. Even though he is still in the car, the sunshine is too blinding for his light colored eyes.

Just when he gets comfortable and begins to enjoy the intimacy of that moment where he can simply concentrate in his mind on Keelian and her everchanging persona, Mr. Lawrence interrupts.

"Mr. Sanchez, your phone's ringing." The old man states with a well measured tone: not too quiet, yet not too loud; not emotionless, yet not overexcited.

Jim calmly passes the mobile to Leo and stares at the big cut on his hand for only a split second. Just enough for Leonardo to frown. The scar that he knows will be left behind will be the memory of this damned night where he almost lost his mind completely.

If only it was the first or last time.

Sanchez rids himself of his coat and undoes the button on the sleeve cuff of his simple black dress shirt. For someone like him, this is a rather casual outfit.

Afterwards, he begins to fold the material up his arm until his milky skin is in clear view, alongside with the constellation of slightly darker colored, jagged scars. He points to the one right under his elbow, when he sees that Mr. Lawrence is looking at the rear-view straight at his naked hands.

"This one is from when I first got drunk on wine." Leonardo begins, a slight smile appearing on his thin lips. "I was horrified the morning after I got it. Couldn't believe the monster I become once I overdo the alcohol."

He traces the line with a long finger, waiting for anything to leave Jim's lips, but they stay promptly sealed. After a few moments of silence, the younger takes it as a green light to continue on talking.

"This one-" Leo points at another, even more brutal scar right in the center of the back of his hand. "-almost killed me. When I woke up the morning after I was drunk again, I found a doctor at my side who looked at me with a worried expression..."

Sanchez opens his eyes abruptly which leads him to hiss in pain as the light from the sun stares right back at him. Even in the dark, behind closed lids, he still senses the presence on the left side of his bed. "Can you at least close the curtains?" He murmurs annoyed.

The person does as they're told and in seconds, the room gets dark which allows Leo to adjust to it comfortably. It takes a few blinks to see properly but when he finally does, he inspects the one now sitting in front of him. A man in his forties, graying dark hair and chocolate brown eyes that look anything but threatening. Still, the sarcastic side of Sanchez urges him to make the joke. "I have to admit, if you're here to kill me, having me under direct sunlight is the way to inflict the most damage."

The older man lets out a short laugh that doesn't sound rather humorous but his smile reaches his eyes nonetheless. "I'm here for the opposite reason, Mr. Sanchez. I got called yesterday night because you almost died."

"What?" Leo chokes on his air. How? Why?

"It's because of this cut, sir." The doctor reaches out and gently grabs the inner side of Leonardo's arm, where the younger sees a giant wound. He doesn't flinch or let any emotion break through his armor, but the sight makes his heart ache uncomfortably. "It was mere centimeters from your central bloodstream, which if struck would cause instant death. You wouldn't want to lose a life in such a meaningless way, now, would you, Mr. Sanchez?"