11 I MEAN GIRL

I go to school the next day as if I wasn't shot at by my mother shortly before and as if my biggest enemy hadn't appeared from thin air to haunt me with ghosts that were long dead.

Jess doesn't seem like herself today, though, or like the way she wants other people to perceive her.

After I started losing my lives, she became aware of the fact that she had to do something to keep the attention off of me as I was well liked by the boys and the girls, and was the talk of the school way too often even for my liking. So she created her persona. The mean girl. She bleached her hair, started wearing her skirt shorter and began bullying the girls that were weaker than her so she would get a reputation. The fame was almost instantaneous; even I was surprised with how well she adjusted herself.

Never, even in my wildest dreams, have I thought that I'd see someone else other than me be the one to strut down the corridors with the confidence that only the most infamous girl in school can have. I especially didn't imagine my sister to be that person.

Although it all changed when I realized how well she suits the role, completely burying her previous self.

She was never the smartest in class, my sister, but she was a really nice and sweet girl before she decided to sacrifice her good image for me and my safety.

So after it became a tremendous success, she was titled the Queen B of our school. Nobody dared to look at my sister if they wanted to live or to at least finish school without going through the absolute hell that a teenager can bring upon them.

How ironic that the most feared girl in this place is actually the most adoring sister in the world.

I mean, I wouldn't say she hates it. Every now and then being a venomous bitch has its perks— I know it from personal experience; you have a lot of fun. She gets all the hot guys, or rather the hot guys get her. I used to think that this is the absolute best thing about being popular: you know that you have everybody wrapped around your finger. There isn't a straight male student in this school that hasn't dreamed of my sister's attention before.

I thought Leonardo Sanchez was different, but he also proved me wrong.

Keeping on the topic of him, I can't stop thinking about what he told me yesterday. I look around every corner, expecting to meet the freezing grey eyes of a boy that I used to love, that same boy I practically ruined not so long ago.

Nobody talks about him anymore. He was the sad case of broken-hearted to a point where something in him went wrong permanently and he was sure to make it up to me for treating him the way I did.

In the year that passed a lot of people changed.

Not only Jessica, not only Leonardo, but me too.

Keelian Samuels was a mean bitch but she wasn't like this because she had to, it wasn't an act. She loved every single second of it. She adored the boys who surrounded her and the constant attention she got and that's how she put herself in a place and in a situation for which only her awful personality was to blame.

I killed Keelian Samuels but it took me eight lives to do so.

"Sorry!" Someone bumps into me as I roam the hallway aimlessly, once again struck with thoughts.

"It's my fault. Let me help you." I crouch to aid the student pick his things from the ground. 

"Thank you-" The guy responds humbly, but when our fingers meet as we both grab his maths textbook, his body stops moving. It almost seems like he's no longer breathing. Confused, I look at him only to see a pair of blue eyes and a deep red blush that spreads in blotches all over his cheeks and neck. "Hey aren't you Keelian Samuels?"

I freeze. Is this the reason why he's being like this?

My eyes leave his face, a sudden wave of disappointment and awkwardness settle inside of me.

"Yeah."

"What happened to you? You were awesome and now-" He looks me up and down, taking a second too long on my chest. "-you're just boring."

I laugh humorlessly as I'm reminded of a teenager's cruelty. I don't know why but blinding anger takes over me when he speaks those words. I cock an eyebrow and with a swift movement I demonstratively drop his book back on the floor, watching as he sighs annoyed and reaches for it one more time.

"I guess it's because I got tired of dicks like you. Have a great fucking day, pig."

The moment I pass by him and realize what I just said, I shudder at how Keelian Samuels this was. But not the new one, the old one. The Pretorian one.

"Geez, she's still hot." I hear the guy mumble under his breath as he continues on with whatever he was doing before we collided.

I can't help the disgust that creeps all over my body.

I already buried that Keelian and I have no intentions of bringing her back, yet she still somehow manages to resurface at the worst times possible.