24 I BROKEN HEARTS

After the heated conversation between me and Leonardo, Mr. Lawrence storms into the room and waves his hands excitedly. I've never seen the man this hyperactive before and by the shock that's written all over Sanchez's face, I guess that he hasn't, either.

"I have news!" The old man cries out in relief. "I know where Jessica is located."

Me and Leonardo share a surprised look and quickly run towards the tablet that the driver carries in his trembling hands.

There, a tracker shows us Prehalia's map and a tiny red dot right in the center of Traum that signifies the location of my sister. I take in a deep breath and the excitement of the discovery rushes to every part of my body. Without thinking I grab my backpack that lays on the ground next to me and start speeding towards the door. Someone grabs onto the fabric of my sweater and I turn around annoyed, only to meet the face of Leonardo. He looks to be quite entertained by my grimace.

"Hey, hey, wait up. You can't just storm out of here, rescue your sister and call it a day. We need a plan." He sighs dramatically and once again runs his fingers through his hair. Doesn't his hair get super greasy very quickly? "If you actually give yourself a moment to think, which you obviously didn't do, you'd realize that those guys who took your sister probably have someone to keep their backs."

Something devilish glints in his grey eyes and I narrow mine. I know this look on his face and I don't like the feeling I'm getting from it.

"Do you have any idea who it might be?" I challenge him and stare right up, locking my gaze with his. I only see the usual indifference there. If he has anything to do with it, then he's hiding it well. "Believe it or not, Leonardo, I'm not that stupid and easy to deceive. I can't just ignore the possibility of you being the one who ordered Jessica's capture."

Leonardo sighs but then shrugs his wide shoulders. God, the wall he's built to hide his true feelings is impeccable.

"It's on you to decide if you want to work with me or not, Keelian. Either way I'll go and get Jessica first. You may be a Samuels but without my track and my people, you're a nobody out there. The world isn't all rainbows and sunshine beyond the walls of Pretorium." His jaw clenches slighty, the muscles flex under the skin, "I'd know."

It's been months since I last saw Leonardo. He doesn't go to school anymore, he's never hanging around town, he's simply gone and all I'm left with is the guilt and the pain from what we both did. The first few days after finishing things off with him were the easiest. I was so proud of myself for getting rid of him and finally being free again, but it only got harder as time progressed. The more distant the memory, the more bitter it is and the more decisive it feels.

Jessica and I made up pretty quickly, even thought there was this tiny voice in my head that always said that I should wait for a bit and not let her back in so fast, I did it anyway. I was in too much pain and I knew she would comfort me, and that's what I needed the most. I still need it sometimes so my sister would always check on me at around 1:00am and if she sees me staring out wide awake, she'd know that I'm lost in the past and would simply come and rest next to me until I'd fall asleep. She proved herself to be the sister I knew before it all went to hell, before my darn birthday.

I take a sip from my hot chocolate, while still in my pajamas, and rest my head on the bed frame. "Jess, when I last saw Leonardo he didn't tell me anything, he didn't try to deny, yet I somehow felt that he was keeping something from me..." I take another gulp, "I can't quite explain it. His eyes were saying a million words, but his mouth told nothing."

Jessica grabs my hand and gently massages it with her thumb in circular motions. "Keels, I don't want to sound rude but that guy was an asshole. He did so many bad things to you, and even transferred schools out of fear, and you're still trying to find the good in him. Forget him, he wasn't worth even a second of your attention." She finishes off confidently and winks at me. I smile weakly at her but the truth is I don't believe everything she says. She tries hard to make him the only one responsible but she forgets that she was the girl who he cheated on me with. She could've stopped him and she didn't.