19 I DIG YOUR OWN GRAVE

I enter school only to be met with a scream as Jessica literally throws herself in my arms.

"Happy Birthday, cutie!" She kisses me all over as I look at her concerned as to what she took this morning after I left. But then, when she peels herself away from me, I see that her clique is right behind her and I know that it's Showtime.

Jess grabs my hand and pulls me closer to her as if I'm a small baby bird that needs to be protected.

"Girls, today all of us will throw a party for my sister at Tiff's house!" The barbies scream and slap Tiffany playfully on her shoulders as she looks around like a lost puppy. "It's decided, right, Tiffany?" My sister's voice is sweet but demanding. The girl turns red but nods and smiles one of those my-parents-will-kill-me-if-they-find-out smiles.

Jessica, happy with the result, gives me a kiss on the cheek and says her good byes and she continues on striding down the hallway as if she owns it.

I shake my head, watching people turn their heads towards her and the other girls. If I keep my mind off of the blonde hair, I can almost see me from one year before, doing that same walk instead of my sister. Now it seems painfully attention seeking and overdone to me, but to Keelian Samuels it used to be a lifestyle.

Nobody bats an eye at me and I love it. At one point, when you've had a taste of everyone's attention glued onto you, you realize that you just want peace and the only way to receive it is to pass that so-called popularity crown onto the next girl.

I can't say that I don't miss it sometimes, though. It was fun to be liked by everybody and to get invited to everything, but most of the time I'm more than glad that my sister took over this pathetic role.

The major difference between what I used to be as a Queen B and Jess is that I believed that I was indeed better than the others, I thought that those stares I got from boys in the hallways meant more than anything and the amount of likes on social media were an indication of how many friends you have in real life.

Simply said, I used to be a disgusting, delusional human being.

                                ------

I look around the entire day like a scared lamb, expecting to see Leonardo at every corner, carefully calculating how to destroy me. But no, there's no sign of the boy and his stone gray eyes.

Why do I feel a sudden pang of disappointment? That's not right. I need to freshen up.

I take the next corner and almost run to the bathroom. Sadly enough, I can't have my mental breakdown play out inside as there are girls applying mascara and leaning over the sinks. When they see me, their eyes sparkle with recognition. One of them is Tiffany, Jessica's Barbie. Now that my sister isn't around, she throws me a hateful look as if it's my fault for having to celebrate my birthday at her house. I do what every other mature eighteen year old would do: I hide in the toilet stall.

I hear the two girls chuckle evilly under their breaths and I concentrate on my own breathing. Then, the two cows proceed to talk about me, knowing well that I'm listening to every word they say.

"Do you remember that today's Keelian's birthday?" I hear Tiffany saying with a mocking tone.

"Oh, the girl that got replaced by her sister?" They both laugh and I scrunch up my nose in disgust. How can someone be so fake? "I guess I forgot. She isn't exactly the hot topic these days."

"Don't you think she's kinda pathetic? She had all this popularity and she just threw it at her sister. And what's worse?" Tiff takes in a shaky breath and I hear her rummaging through her makeup bag. "Now that hag Jessica wants me to throw her pathetic sister a party. Can you imagine?"